Static Site Generator Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Anonymous181214

Static Site Generator

Post by Anonymous181214 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Does anyone know of a static site generator for Joomla? I'm looking for an equivalent of this WordPress plugin:

WP Static Site Generator

Thanks!
Last edited by toivo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Static Site Generator

Post by waarnemer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:22 pm

If you need a static site, do not use J! (or WP, Drupal, Contao whateverElse......)

If you need a static site, but you do need some authoring tools, use some like pico (http://picocms.org)

But note you will be stuck in STATIC pages....

You can also go for a caching system (outside of your CMS) that holds all pages for you for a x-period of time. There are so many ways of doing that. I cannot tell what is best.

Anonymous181214

Post by Anonymous181214 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:55 am

waarnemer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:22 pm
If you need a static site, do not use J! (or WP, Drupal, Contao whateverElse......)

If you need a static site, but you do need some authoring tools, use some like pico (http://picocms.org)

But note you will be stuck in STATIC pages....

You can also go for a caching system (outside of your CMS) that holds all pages for you for a x-period of time. There are so many ways of doing that. I cannot tell what is best.
Thanks waarnemer. The underlying issue is that static site generators are not very friendly for non-technical people. Joomla and WP are more commonplace and therefore marketers/writers etc are more comfortable working in a Joomla/Wordpress environment.

Wordpress has a couple of good static site generator plugins which render your site for deployment to something like S3; this flow allows you to continue using WP for content management, whilst also removing the cost and security concerns of running a WP server and database 24/7 to serve content. See getshifter.io for an example of this being done commercially.

I agree that caching is the next best (and tried and tested) model, but caching increases hosting costs while a static model as described above decreases costs (and also permits more aggressive security-related controls).

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:57 am

Static sites are more search engine friendly than dynamic sites, if using a cache system out of CMS, a static cached site will be created and those pages assigned to a server with a domain, it shall also be search engine friendly like real static sites. true? or there might be some drawbacks?
Kian William

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 am

@KianWilliam... please explain why a static site is more SEF than a dynamic site?

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:58 am

With pure HTML static websites:
You can build adaptive websites.
You have HTML and CSS that are fully understood by search engines.
The sitemap will have a simple index which is recommended by all the search engines.
Faster load time.
With dynamic websites:
You need a special plugin to manage your SEO.
You will want to be very careful in producing a proper link structure and URL parameters.
You should optimize page load time.
Kian William

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:11 am

"Static" websites are no more SEF than dynamic websites. Static websites will generally outperform non-static website in terms of page load but there is no impact on SEO as far as static sites are concerned compared with dynamic websites.

This is a bit of a nonsense debate.

As far as the original post is concerned, the OP only asked the question nearly three months ago in order to promote a product for Wordpress. This is a forum about Joomla. This is not a forum to discuss the "benefits" of alternative CMSes. You can have "static" sites built with J! just as easily as you we know and love our dynamic sites that people build [with all kinds of CMSes]. Again, it's a bit of a nonsense to suggest otherwise.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Anonymous181214

Post by Anonymous181214 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 am

sozzled wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:11 am
"Static" websites are no more SEF than dynamic websites. Static websites will generally outperform non-static website in terms of page load but there is no impact on SEO as far as static sites are concerned compared with dynamic websites.

This is a bit of a nonsense debate.

As far as the original post is concerned, the OP only asked the question nearly three months ago in order to promote a product for Wordpress. This is a forum about Joomla. This is not a forum to discuss the "benefits" of alternative CMSes. You can have "static" sites built with J! just as easily as you we know and love our dynamic sites that people build [with all kinds of CMSes]. Again, it's a bit of a nonsense to suggest otherwise.
Hi sozzled,

While I agree that debate about the SEO benefits of static vs dynamic is moot, I definitely did not intend to promote a product for Wordpress. My intention was to ask the Joomla community if any equivalent plugin for Joomla exists.

To clarify (forgive me if this is already obvious, but I did not give a clear idea of exactly what I'm looking for in my original post): the Wordpress plugin builds a full HTML build of the Wordpress site which can then be uploaded to a service such as S3. This then allows the Wordpress server to be switched off whilst the pre-rendered website is served by S3. Clearly this model does not work for sites which incorporate content which requires real-time updates (unless API-driven with a client-side integration), but for blog sites etc, it is a cost-effective, fast and secure way of delivering the same experience as if the site was being served by Wordpress as normal.

I have been unable to find a plugin for Joomla which provides the same functionality, but I am new to the Joomla ecosystem, so thought best to ask the experts!

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:04 am

it is a cost-effective, fast and secure way of delivering the same experience as if the site was being served by Wordpress as normal.
you what? so if your WP server is not "cost-effective, fast and secure " then dont use it! build it on amazon in the first place!
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

daclina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by daclina » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 am

Although this is an old post... I'm still not entirely sure why the attacks on the OP (completely uncalled for). I am however also interested a similar "Joomla2Static" plugin.

Cloudflare recently released a video showing a way to use their server-less workers platform, in conjunction with a Wordpress site, using the WP2static plugin (which makes static files of the entire site) and then serving the entire site using the Cloudflare workers (similar to how the OP wants to serve his site using Amazon S3 buckets), giving you close to 100% scores on Lighthouse (the Chrome pagespeed testing tool).

I imagine others might find this interesting and possibly useful too, if there was a simpler way to make this work with Joomla.

I haven't seen anything yet, but I'd appreciate if anyone knows of any recent developments around a component or a plugin for a full and user-friendly static conversion of a Joomla site.

Thanks in advance.

PS. For reference I'll leave the Cloudflare video here:

Code: Select all

https://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=LR7YF1z4VzM

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:53 am

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... Page-Rules

Good read, you may not need any plugin for that... cloudflare can do it and you can even exclude the pages you DO want to keep dynamic... page rules is what to look for

mrentropy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrentropy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:49 pm

I ran across this post as I was curious about whether Joomla intends to join WordPress and others as being a possible "headless CMS" to generate a static site.

https://jamstack.org/

Does anyone know if that is something being developed in the Joomla community?

Examples of the types of services I'm looking at:

https://www.gatsbyjs.org/
https://www.11ty.dev/

As some in this thread have suggested this isn't a one-size fits all possibility, but there are many scenarios where this would be quite useful.

dreemusa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dreemusa » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 am

I'm also on the hunt for a headless CMS, have been using Joomla for years and hope that someday it will separate itself from the template-based system. To be honest, Wordpress doesn't make a very good headless CMS either, it's bloated to the core and slow even for REST requests.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”