Better Banners?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Better Banners?

Post by BallOfSpray » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Because the reporting of Impressions and clicks from the native banner component is so dodgy I recently moved all my advertising banners to Google DFP.

What I did not anticipate is that ad blockers now remove my banners on something like 30% of my page views. Now I have potentially great data but far less ad impressions and I can't live with that.

So the questions are:
1) is there a better Banner serving system available for Joomla 3x?

2) is there a blog post or article somewhere that explains how to tweak the cache settings to get better data out of the native banner component?

3) is there some other obvious solution? I certainly want to circumvent the ad blockers and I would love to have really good impression and click data.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Better Banners?

Post by KianWilliam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:01 am

From what I know, Ad block is a plugin set from browser side. From server side you may show a different content to advise viewer of your webpage to disable it.
Also in this page you may find more advanced extensions for your ads:
https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... anagement/
Kian William

BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BallOfSpray » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Kian,
Delivery of my banners is too important to my advertisers for me to trust that my readers will simply change the settings in their browser. The one huge advantage to the native banners component is that ad blockers do not remove the banners. As I stated previously the big downside is the click and impression data appears to be poor.

Thank you for that link to plug-ins. I've looked at those before but I will look again and see if something in their works for me.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:46 pm

BallOfSpray wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:46 pm
Because the reporting of Impressions and clicks from the native banner component is so dodgy I recently moved all my advertising banners to Google DFP.

What I did not anticipate is that ad blockers now remove my banners on something like 30% of my page views. Now I have potentially great data but far less ad impressions and I can't live with that.

So the questions are:
Search the JED https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... anagement/
2) is there a blog post or article somewhere that explains how to tweak the cache settings to get better data out of the native banner component?
You cannot tweak cache settings in a Joomla plugin
3) is there some other obvious solution? I certainly want to circumvent the ad blockers
You cannot circumvent ad blockers. We have 2 extensions that can help you so check it out https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... k-reactor/ or https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... t/jpayday/

Question: you do not use an ad-blocker yourself? I do not allow ads on any website I visit! It turns me off

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:51 am

If those messages are of top level of importance to be viewed by viewers, then use them in the structure of website in the shape of a gallery of messages, why using in the shape of ads to be blocked? Simply create a simple gallery of messages, assign it to a position for module , this way it has more positive effect on viewers.
Kian William

BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BallOfSpray » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Leo,

If readers block all banner ads, how are blogs, magazines and news sites supposed to monetize? My website exist to generate traffic so I can sell ad space. Letting users visit my website without my banners is pointless.

Maybe banners blocking is the future of the internet but I don't know how anyone is supposed to make a living at that point.

BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BallOfSpray » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Kian,

I follow your suggestion. The native Banner tool actually works pretty well at getting around banner blockers. My issue with the native tool is that it does a extremely poor job at delivering statistics concerning Impressions and clicks. I don't see how using the gallery is going to not make this worse.

I would suggest that developers should see this as an opportunity. There is not a tool that I can find that is simply a better version of the native tool. I don't need sliders and sticky corners or animations or anything like that and I would think that my requirements are not unusual.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:00 am

Once you employ a strongly designed gallery to attract viewers, I assure you they will take time to view your messages, that depends on the developer who created the gallery, also with simple jQuery codes you may change the appearance of the gallery to make viewers have a short stop for messages. All depend on your art.
Also, Invite them to view and subscribe your newsletter, create an email list and tell the stuff in your adds in the news letter, there are different techniques to develop an email list.
I am just a web developer and codes do not need psychology, your job does because you work with people, but I do know many people do not like ads and most of them just close them as soon as they observe a pop up.
Tell about your ads to them in the shape of a newsletter and developing email lists, you may classify these email lists based on some information about viewers(e.g age, job, ...), this might take some time but the result will be steady.
Kian William

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 am

Did you turn off caching in the module (advanced tab)?

BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BallOfSpray » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 am
Did you turn off caching in the module (advanced tab)?
Yes.

malcolmpearson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malcolmpearson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 am

@BallsOfSpray - I am in the same boat on the native banner module - the stats are so bad I have had advertising clients haul me over the coals because my stats do not add up to what they have on their side using Google Analytics.

Although I thought that Google DFP or Ad Manager would be the answer, I have only been able to get one banner position to show, seems my implementation of the <head> code must be wrong. But, if these are going to be blocked by most readers, I seem to be moving in the wrong direction.

Have you found any solutions?

BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BallOfSpray » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 pm

@malcolmpearson
I got Google DFP to work great but that resulted in ad blockers removing all banners impressions for 40% of users. I went back to the native Joomla banner tool. My clients may not get data but the banners are on every page.

Sucks but is only solution I can find.

If you need more help on DFP banners let me know.

malcolmpearson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malcolmpearson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:25 am

Thanks @BallOfSpray

That is really crap, I have somebody helping me at the moment, but will bank the offer and will be in contact should I get stuck.

Appreciate the offer.

BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BallOfSpray » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 pm

I will say it one more time.... I would pay for a tool that would build on the native component if it would deliver good analytics. I am competing with Google advertising, Facebook advertising, and [red dit] for advertising dollars.

The vibe I get is that the Joomla! community thinks that if I was serious I would use DFP to serve my banners and accept the loss of banner impressions. For sites like mine where I sell directly to my advertisers, I can not afford a 40% loss of banner impressions.

There must be a lot of sites out there like mine who would PAY for a solution.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 pm

See https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/22339 for J! 3.9.2. Does this help?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

malcolmpearson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malcolmpearson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm

@Balls OfSpray - I am stuck, I will send you a PM.

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by xfsgpr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:39 pm

BallOfSpray wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:46 pm

So the questions are:

3) is there some other obvious solution? I certainly want to circumvent the ad blockers and I would love to have really good impression and click data.
Are these banners just images or are they something else? If they are just images then I strongly recommend using AWS Storage S3 to store your images and these can be linked to your site. Alternatively, use GitHub to store your images and link them from there.

GoogleAPI is blocked by many adBlockers and these can cause problems for sites that have only images for styling.

AWS charge is few pennies per month depending how popular your site is; GitHub is free; and Microsoft Azure is another option and they also do something similar to AWS. The good thing about these services is that you can also have static websites for free with them and use custom domain to point to these files.

I didn't mention Netlify but that is also free and can host/store your files. The important thing is you need to have something reliable and 24/7 serving your images or pages. There are videos on [youtube] about how to use these services for free.

Me thinks so anyway.

malcolmpearson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malcolmpearson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi

These are jpg, png, gif format images.

The images seems to work fine, it is just the poor stat reporting that is causing embarrassment with my clients.

Going Google Ads is just a way to get the stats right.

BallOfSpray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BallOfSpray » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:53 pm

My banners are all just images. I've engaged developer to see if you can clean up the clearly crazy data in my tracks data.

Using Google dfp does give great data quality or at least it looks great but because of ad blocking software 40% of the pages will load without banners. Using the native Banner tool almost completely circumvents all ad blocking plugins.

I would gladly trade crappy data quality to get banners on every page. Most of my clients our understanding of the issue.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”