Website Loading Speed Topic is solved

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
curtislholt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Website Loading Speed

Post by curtislholt » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello,
So I am getting back into designing websites, a lot of my web work revolves around using gifs in the slideshow. I am currently working on a site with a gif of NYC on the slideshow and the load time is around 6-10 seconds which obviously is way way too slow. Using a flat jpg its around 2 seconds. I have already compressed the gif down to somewhere like 2mb. Any tips on speeding it up??

Regards
Curtis

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Website Loading Speed

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:10 pm

GIFs are somewhat "old hat". They have their place for small images (e.g. less than a couple of hundred pixels) and, sometimes, for animated images but there are constraints. The main constraint is that they're limited to 256 colours (including one transparency layer). JPEGs also have limitations because of image compression; for instance, large images often appear "blocky". PNGs provide additional benefits insofar as they usually give better resolution and more true-to-life colour. Even so, large images (especially ones used on slideshows) are just that ... they're large and they take time to download.

There's a trade-off between displaying a large image (or a series of large images) and speed. One way to reduce the appearance of having a site load faster is to divert the user's attention but, even then, you need to remember that the average attention span of a human being looking at a website page is about two seconds or less.

Therefore, the key to retaining a person's attention is to reduce the time taken in downloading unnecessary content. Unless the images actually yield some postive benefit, keep these things to a minimum. Websites that display animations (even in the form of slideshows) typically don't retain a viewer's attention for very long. They're a distraction. Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion and I've only given you a sample of my own views on the subject.

My advice is:

1) Reduce the number of images that are loaded on a webpage (particularly if the webpage is the site's "landing" (or home) page.
2) Reduce the number of animations on any one webpage to no more than one animation on any one page. Remember, too, that people usually only look at one or two parts of a webpage and they'll go from there.
3) If you use a slideshow as a kind of menu, test your idea with a user focus group. Ask a group of your friend to look at your website and obtain their feedback. Listen to your user focus group.
4) Keep it simple. Simple works. Look at the Google website (as one example) of simple.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

curtislholt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Website Loading Speed

Post by curtislholt » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the tips, set it to a compressed png and loading times down to 1.5-2 seconds :)
Will definitely be using this in the future.
Curtis

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”