facebook group like

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
markjgabb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

facebook group like

Post by markjgabb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:27 am

i know i have to be going crazy now
im sure ive looked through and tried about 20 facebook like modules so far but cant seem to find one doing what im after

im after a simple button i can put on the page that lets you like a group

ive seen many that work for pages but they dont seem to support groups

ideally i would like some like a button that hangs on the left side of the screen and when you click on it it takes you to the facebook group

im protostar template
vicera.com.au

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: facebook group like

Post by waarnemer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53 am

create your own module?

developers "dot" facebook "dot" com "dash" docs "dash" plugins "dash" group-plugin "hashtag" web

markjgabb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markjgabb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 am

hey waarnemer
ill look into that

judging by what i see so far its a little over my head but ill give it a go

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:19 pm

I did create some code... (just for the fun of it)

github "dot" com "dash" pieter-groeneweg "dash" mod_biz_fb_groups

I did this from scratch and I don't have a group to test against... I need to ask you to.
Have a look... and let me know if it works.. you may need to see the FB page I posted before...

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Facebook groups cannot be "liked", users can only join a group. What you describe seems only to be a simple link to the group, and that can easily be achieved with a System Links > Url type to create a menu item, or just a text or image link some where.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:17 pm

I know, but since there are plugins and modules enough to like FB posts and FP persons, I assume it is to become member of a group....

liking a person on FB or become member of a FB group gives a somewhat same result... you get informed about the activity of the person (like person) or group (become member).

And also because poster already has a symlink to the group at the bottom of his page... big F ;)

behaviour of the button from this script may vary depending on visitor already logged in on FB or not, visitor already a member of that group yes or no.. ("join group" vs "visit group")

Also it shows your group header, it shows also the member count... some your syslink will not. And yes FB does take care of how it looks.. can't do any about that...

I will add some extras and controls to the module... to configure the collection of analysis and language settings... when I find the time...

Sidenote for EU users under GDPR restrictions... make sure your cookie mechanism is taking care of this as FB will drop cookies on you using their scripts.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”