Reinstall core files

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Reinstall core files

Post by Pammie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:25 am

Hello

I have a site that seems to be missing some core files. Reinstall core files in the back end doesn't work, as this appears to be something lost, along with update in the back end, and language override, so it looks as if I will have to reinstall manually.

I haven't knowingly changed any of the Joomla core files on the site and if I upload Joomla package via FTP and reinstall that way, will it work, and will I loose the content?

Thanks for your help
Pam

mjparadac
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Reinstall core files

Post by mjparadac » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Hello Pam

If you upload the core files of Joomla, you should not have problems.
But remember, always make a backup before an action like that.
Full backup, files and database.

Regards,
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm

I don't know why the reinstall the files from Joomla update component doesn't work - it should. When you say "reinstall core files from back end doesn't work" I hope you haven't been trying this from Extension Manager - because that will definitely not work, and it's not supposed to work that way.

If you need to reinstall the core files, do that from the Upload and Update tab in the Joomla Update component. FTP'ing files won't make the necessary database changes which will probably be required under any such re-install.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

john-doe
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by john-doe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:59 am

AMurray wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm
If you need to reinstall the core files, do that from the Upload and Update tab in the Joomla Update component. FTP'ing files won't make the necessary database changes which will probably be required under any such re-install.
If that last resource is done, do not forget to check in Extensions / manage / database and then go to fix, and then You go for the Reinstall Core.
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pammie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Hello

Thanks for replies, I'm very stuck with this :(

What I get when I use the Joomla update tab to reinstall core files is:
An error has occurred.
404 Component not found.
Return to Control Panel

I also get the same response when I try to do a regular update on the upload and update tab.

It will take hours and hours to upload the whole Joomla package via upload and update and I'm not sure it will work. I've previously tried uploading an update package, the upload completes, I put in my username and pw to install but then get the same 404 message.

I am also missing the language overrides, I had several on this site, they have gone and the box to select Language and Client to create a new override is not there.

These are just the missing items that I know about, I don't know when I lost them, the overrides may have gone after the 3.9 update.

This is why I thought I needed to reinstall core files, but I've never done it before and I'm very aware I could completely mess up the site. Even if I take a back up to recover the site, I'm recovering the site with the same problems.

If there is no viable way to recover missing files for this site, then I assume it means building a new site?

Many thanks for your help
Pam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 pm

It will take hours and hours to upload the whole Joomla package via upload and update and I'm not sure it will work. I've previously tried uploading an update package, the upload completes, I put in my username and pw to install but then get the same 404 message
It will not take hours - the ZIP file uploads within minutes.

However, I think there's something else going on here. Just one quick suggestion. Check the Global Configuration > Server screen and advise if the FTP Settings shown there are turned ON or OFF; They should not be needed, so should be OFF.
joomla_ftp.PNG
Also you shouldn't need to put in your credentials (?) if you're already logged in (although I do see that it does this occasionally.....but usually it just installs the updates or whatever within a few minutes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pammie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks for reply.

The FTP settings are already on off.

I think you're right there is something else going on, but question is what?

Thanks for your help
Pam

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 am

If the question is "What?" then I don't think you're asking the right question.

https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”