Is Joomla Suitable?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
willowtree
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Is Joomla Suitable?

Post by willowtree » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:42 am

Hi,

I've been wanting to develop something for a while but I'm struggling to work out the best approach. I'd like to use something as a fairly well established base, and develop/customise to suit. I'm wondering if Joomla could do this...

I'd like to have users that pay for a regular membership - either monthly or annually for access to the site.

Each user needs to be able to have an unlimited number of 'sub-users' - single login but each sub-user links to different events/sub-events.

There would be a central 'register' of events that would have dates, locations, sub-events, booking deadlines etc

Each user to be able to attend different events and have different status for the booking process.

Calendar view of events booked and events available with statuses

Does this sound possible? It's not really the core purpose of Joomla with content but I can't find a lot that would make a suitable base for this?

Any direction gratefully appreciated.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Is Joomla Suitable?

Post by AMurray » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Check the Joomla Extensions directory - you can find the member subscription, booking calendars and event management systems there http://extensions.joomla.org.

Beyond what's offered on the JED it might be that they don't meet all your requirements so perhaps a custom solution would be needed. There is a Professional Development Services forum, you can post your (detailed) requirements there - viewforum.php?f=177
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:38 pm

willowtree wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:42 am
Each user needs to be able to have an unlimited number of 'sub-users' - single login but each sub-user links to different events/sub-events
Not possible. Each user (whether you describe them as users or "sub-users") needs to have their own individual user account. A "sub-user", who uses the same login information as the "user", is the user and can access whatever the user can access.

To come close to a solution, each of the [real] users needs to be in a different usergroup from one another so that they can manage their own events and other things.

However, I guess you could create a "sub-user" account that uses a different email address from the "user", with a different account name and password, and assign the "sub-user" into the same usergroup as the [parent/real] user. I guess that would be feasible. In any case, it's a bit of work for you.

So, no, in the way you've described the problem, this is not possible in Joomla and AFAIK it's not possible in any other CMS either.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

willowtree
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willowtree » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 am

Thanks for your suggestions.

The 'sub-users' aren't human, but I need to be able for each user to have some kind of sub-accounts, maybe like different shipping addresses in an e-commerce system so I'm hoping I can achieve this somehow.

Thanks,

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”