Jooml;a 2.5 to 3.9.11 - I screwed up somewhere

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Jooml;a 2.5 to 3.9.11 - I screwed up somewhere

Post by Skiddz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:57 pm

I'm not sure if this is an installation or administration issue so if I chose poorly, admins, please feel free to move this to the appropriate area.

A couple years ago, I started migrating my old, hard-coded site to Joomla 2.5. Working on a local installtion, I got it about 80% done then life threw me a curve ball and it wasn't until recently that I had an opportunity to sit back down and finish the project.

I knew my installation was dated so I downloaded and installed the latest XAMPP (Windows) and Joomla stuff to a brand new drive. I backed up my old htdocs folder and went in to phpMyAdmin to export my database using the saved username/password info in Firefox.

I fired up the new setup and made sure I could get into the XAMPP and Joomla backends and then went to import my database. This is where I think I screwed up. Instead of 'root' for a user name, phpMyAdmin now shows 'admin' and what I thought was my password (for both the 'root' and 'admin' accounts) doesn't work. 'No big deal, I can change the database password' I thought so I shut down the new stuff, fired up the old stuff and went into the XAMPP dashboard. Clicked on Security and navigated to the link to actually do the deed.

Plugged in what I thought was the old password and then the new password. Nope. Didn't like the old password. I tried several times and failed each time. Hmmm.. Tried to get back in to phpMyAdmin. Getting some collation error (1273 - Unknown collation: 'utf8mb4_unicode_ci' ) so looked that up and found a PHP script that would fix it. Unfortunately, it requires that I know the username/password combination, but it appears I don't know it.

The old installation has a file in ../xampp/mysql called 'resetroot.bat'. Reading it, it appears to remove passwords for users "root" and "pma". I'm very hesitant to even try running it, even with a database backup.

Any way to 'fix' the 1273 - Unknown collation: 'utf8mb4_unicode_ci' error manually and either reset or recover the username/password for the database?

I imagine I'll run into the same password issue when I try to log in to the Joomla Administrator as well.

2+ years away from this stuff and I've forgotten almost everything.

Thx in advance for any suggestions!

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Jooml;a 2.5 to 3.9.11 - I screwed up somewhere

Post by Skiddz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:51 pm

I "fixed" the collation issue by deleting all cookies referring to my local installation and reloading the phpMyAdmin page. I was able to retrieve the user/password info once back in the XAMPP dashboard.

Got my DB imported, tweaked configuration.php to 'point' to the new DB and tried to launch the site. Another error...

"Warning: session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: F:\xampp\tmp) in F:\xampp\apps\joomla\htdocs\libraries\joomla\session\handler\native.php on line 260
Error: Failed to start application: Failed to start the session"

I don't recall this being such a pain when I started this project...

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:01 pm

If you still have the original site,install Akeeba back up and use that to transfer to the site you wish to update.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Is save.session.path set to a proper folder in php.ini?

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Skiddz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:53 pm

Unfortunately, I can't get to the old site as that XAMPP installation is completely buggered. Checking the XAMPP Status shows everything but PHP deactivated, even though the XAMPP control panel shows both Apache and MySQL started and logs don't show any errors. About the only thing I can still get to is the database stuff via phpMyAdmin. No idea what happened, but both the old and new XAMPP installations generate session errors when trying to launch the site.

Per, I assume you mean "session.save.path"? Yes, it's set to the /xampp/tmp directory.

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Skiddz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 pm

OK, more weirdness... Stepped away for some lunch after shutting down all services. When I went to try again, the old site came up. I was able to update to Joomla 3.9.11 and am in the process of updating Akeeba Backup.

Sanity check on my next steps?

Full backup with Akeeba. Create a new XAMPP/Joomla installation on my external drive, but connected to my Notebook (Want to avoid any XAMPP "conflicts" on my main machine) and then restore my backup to that setup and make sure it all works.

Delete all instances of XAMPP/Joomla from my main machine, clean the registry then migrate the site to the main machine w/Akeeba then repeat the migration to my hosting provider once I've finished building it.

Sound reasonable?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:00 pm

Sounds reasonable to me.

I must admit that I forewent XAMPP some years ago because it was a right-royal pain-in-the-patootie. Although I rarely use PC-hosted website development, there are occasions (such as migrating old pre-PHP 7 sites) when it can be handy. Based on the recommendations from other members of the community, it seems that WAMPserver is a bit more reliable. Just a thought.

I'm sure we all share similar stories to yours. It's difficult—I know, just ask my better half—letting go of the past. It's your business, of course, what reasons you may have for wanting to salvage a website you built several years ago; that's a question that none of us can answer. Alternatively, it takes less than 10 minutes to build a brand-new J! website with J! 3.9.11 and begin the process of building something new, something better, something you can be proud of.

Starting again is actually easy once you make that decision. Migrating from something old is not impossible but, in my opinion, it's not always that easy. Good luck.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Skiddz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 pm

Well, the current live site is working how I want it to, but administration is a pain. Any time I want to add/delete something, I have to fire off my IDE, tweak the code, test it and then upload it to my hosting provider.

Back when I started this project, I had my local Joomla setup almost identical to the live site and just had a few cosmetic tweaks to do than add some additional content and I could have switched over. Like I said initially, life threw me a curve a while back and a lot got 'back-burnered' until a few weeks ago.

Starting over crossed my mind more than once over the past few days, but that would involve a lot of additional work to get back to where I was. I'll look into WAMPserver for local development.

FWIW, I don't do this 'professionally'. This site is just my 'blog' that lets my family and friends keep up with what I'm doing these days and shows my potential customers what I'm capable of doing.

Time to go get a beer (or two) and some food.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:19 am

Skiddz wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 pm
I'll look into WAMPserver for local development.
Check this out https://www.uniformserver.com/

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Skiddz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:11 am

So, I'm back to where I started back in December of 2017 (I thought it was longer than that!) and then some. I was able to get the 2.5 site updated, backed up, moved to my notebook, cleaned all the xampp and Joomla stuff off my main machine, reinstalled everything, then got it all moved back and running

I was able to add menu items and article placeholders to match the current live site's basic framework but I'm getting a warning message displayed at the top of the home page:

Code: Select all

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in D:\xampp\apps\joomla\htdocs\templates\mysite\functions.php on line 177
which is clearly an issue with the Artisteer 4.1 template I'm using. (I'm guessing it's due to a newer PHP version) Unfortunately, I don't have access to that program anymore and it appears the current 4.3 version only exports to J! 3.0 and below and the forums at the Artisteer site seem to be devoid of developers at this time.

Where might I find some info on how to resolve that issue? It's only a warning and I've turned off error reporting so I can continue copying content in to the new setup, but I would like to resolve that at some point in case a serious issue arises.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am

So, what's more important to you? Using a template that doesn't work now in your test environment (and won't work in J! 3.x, anyway) or getting your site running to the point that you can migrate it to J! 3.x? You can't have both. J! 2.5 templates do not work in J! 3.x.
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:33 am

Artisteer is long time dead so suggest to move on to the Gantry Framework and build the template with that https://gantry.org (developers of Rockettheme.com) As Michael told you you won't be able to make that work in Joomla 3

Leo 8)

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Skiddz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, the site *is* working with the current template. :)

I've spent the morning reading about Gantry and it looks pretty interesting. Not sure if I could duplicate the look of my current template, but certainly looks like I might be able to create something very close. Thanks for the suggestion!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks for your feedback, @Skiddz.

I won't dispute what @Leo wrote. In my opinion, I never thought that Artisteer was a particularly robust approach to templating and, certainly, the newer approaches such as Gantry5 leave Artisteer looking like the "also-rans". We need to also remember that, when Artisteer first appeared on the scene, mobile internet usage was only just beginning to emerge. Looking now, eleven years after its first appearance (or five years after its last incarnation with Artisteer v 4.3), internet technology and the uptake of mobile platforms have left Artisteer lying in the dust.

I was never impressed with Artisteer—the need to install standalone construction tools on my computer—that operated independently of J!. For that reason alone, I had no interest in designing a template using these standalone tools. So, I freely admit my bias and we can leave it at that.

When I look back at the time I've spent building websites, I've built some shockers! :laugh: I've built some websites that, when I look at the Wayback Machine, I am ashamed by how badly they looked. But, the important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and we hope we are now doing better than we did before.

I'm sure you've heard this story before but I'll tell it again, anyway. 20+ years ago, or thereabouts, when the internet was in its infancy, I read a magazine article that recommended website owners should perform a cosmetic make-over of their sites at least once a year. After all, if major company sites are "made-over" every six to twelve months, why shouldn't the rest of us do something similar?

Skiddz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:36 pm
Not sure if I could duplicate the look of my current template, but certainly looks like I might be able to create something very close.
Before you go further with completing the changeover to J! 3.x, I advise you to focus on what outcomes you're seeking to achieve. A website is not so much about its appearance—the colour scheme, menu layout, use of screen "real estate", images, etc.—but about what its value to the people who visit and interact with it. While it's "important" to consider the theme—the template—that your site will use, that's not the most important aspect. If the template is the most important aspect—the template must look good but the content is irrelevant—then spend a thousand dollars to buy something that looks good, that wows your audience for a few seconds and move on.

Use this opportunity while you have it. Migrate the site to J! 3.9.11. Do the cosmetics later.

Use this opportunity to experiment with new ideas.

Use this opportunity to overhaul your website. Remove outdated, irrelevant content.

Use this opportunity to excite your users with a new look.

Skiddz wrote:
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, the site *is* working with the current template.
Well, we may have to disagree whether the website really does work with the current [Artisteer] template that you're using but, considering that the last revision(s) to Artisteer were five years ago, it's highly likely that there are issues you have not yet discovered. ;) I'm not disagreeing with you but, by the same token, how do you know you're right?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 am

Skiddz wrote:
Not sure if I could duplicate the look of my current template
well I have not seen your template in use at present but with descent skills in CSS one can recreate 1:1 (!) any template in Gantry, fully responsive of course as we are doing daily for many clients so I speak from experience

Leo 8)

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Skiddz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:33 pm

leolam wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 am
well I have not seen your template in use at present but with descent skills in CSS one can recreate 1:1 (!) any template in Gantry, fully responsive of course as we are doing daily for many clients so I speak from experience
Hahaha, you give me WAY too much credit. While I can usually suss out what I'm looking at in the code, I am by no means capable of 'rolling my own'.
sozzled wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 pm
Thanks for your feedback, @Skiddz.

I won't dispute what @Leo wrote. In my opinion, I never thought that Artisteer was a particularly robust approach to templating and, certainly, the newer approaches such as Gantry5 leave Artisteer looking like the "also-rans". We need to also remember that, when Artisteer first appeared on the scene, mobile internet usage was only just beginning to emerge. Looking now, eleven years after its first appearance (or five years after its last incarnation with Artisteer v 4.3), internet technology and the uptake of mobile platforms have left Artisteer lying in the dust.

I was never impressed with Artisteer—the need to install standalone construction tools on my computer—that operated independently of J!. For that reason alone, I had no interest in designing a template using these standalone tools. So, I freely admit my bias and we can leave it at that.
Fair enough, but again, I don't do this for a living so used the tools available to me at the time. I left IT (I did network and physical plant design and install) back in 2004 and went into aviation. Not a lot a call for building websites there. :)
When I look back at the time I've spent building websites, I've built some shockers! :laugh: I've built some websites that, when I look at the Wayback Machine, I am ashamed by how badly they looked. But, the important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and we hope we are now doing better than we did before.
Pretty sure we can all agree that our past work in anything could prove 'shocking' - I know my mine does.
I'm sure you've heard this story before but I'll tell it again, anyway. 20+ years ago, or thereabouts, when the internet was in its infancy, I read a magazine article that recommended website owners should perform a cosmetic make-over of their sites at least once a year. After all, if major company sites are "made-over" every six to twelve months, why shouldn't the rest of us do something similar?
If this was for a client or represented a company, sure, but my site is basically for me, family and friends and the rare customer that wants to take a look at my past projects. Traffic is VERY low.
Before you go further with completing the changeover to J! 3.x, I advise you to focus on what outcomes you're seeking to achieve. A website is not so much about its appearance—the colour scheme, menu layout, use of screen "real estate", images, etc.—but about what its value to the people who visit and interact with it. While it's "important" to consider the theme—the template—that your site will use, that's not the most important aspect. If the template is the most important aspect—the template must look good but the content is irrelevant—then spend a thousand dollars to buy something that looks good, that wows your audience for a few seconds and move on.
My expectations are to migrate this site to something a LOT more easy to maintain and modify. I chose Joomla because I've helped a couple organizations I've belonged to create and administer their sites with it. My "expertise" with it, well.. isn't. :) But! I have enough familiarity with it to be able to do what I need to do and those things I can't figure out on my own, I learn at sites like this.
Use this opportunity while you have it. Migrate the site to J! 3.9.11. Do the cosmetics later.
Already migrated, just not live. Cosmetics is the next step. If it changes from its current format, so be it, but I have to get there first.
Use this opportunity to experiment with new ideas.
Use this opportunity to overhaul your website. Remove outdated, irrelevant content.
Use this opportunity to excite your users with a new look.
haha, all 6 users. :) Gantry is proving to be interesting to be sure, but I have to do a lot more reading/playing. Right now I'd like to be able to change the order of some of the items (Sorry, I still don't have all the particles/atoms terminology down pat yet) in the Helium framework (Specifically get the Header section above the Navigation section) and am slowly digging through the .css files as time permits to see if I can figure out what's what.
Well, we may have to disagree whether the website really does work with the current [Artisteer] template that you're using but, considering that the last revision(s) to Artisteer were five years ago, it's highly likely that there are issues you have not yet discovered. ;) I'm not disagreeing with you but, by the same token, how do you know you're right?
Well, the site is really quite simple and everything I've tried on my test site works just fine. Apart from the Warning message on the home page, there have been no hiccups.
Once I have a working setup using Gantry, I'll move the site to my hosting provider and turn it 'on'.

I *DO* appreciate the constructive comments!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Thank you, @Skiddz, for taking the time to comprehensively deal with the issues we've raised and the comments we've made. Speaking only for myself, my comments were general and [perhaps mainly] focused on business websites. But, by the same token, my belief is that all websites—even those we build and operate part-time or as hobbyists/enthusiasts—are businesses. After all, if something happens that prevents the website from functioning then the business is kaput. N'est-ce pas?

Anyway, it seems that you've take our suggestions on-board and we wish you every success with the business. Cheers. :) Enjoy the beer!

Skiddz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Skiddz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Welp, if my "business' takes a crap, no big deal. I'll pop back in here and pester you all some more for help and build it again. (Or I'll just restore from backups, leave you all alone and pop open a nice, creamy stout and sip while I monitor the restoration progress. :))

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”