Website too slow in loading

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
winbelltrade
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Website too slow in loading

Post by winbelltrade » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:37 pm

I am using Joomla! 3.9 for a news website. The load time for the front and back end is too slow. However sometimes it loads more faster than other times. I am not too technical as I am new to joomla.

I have ran a test on the site with GTmetrix.com and attached is the output.
Please I need assistance as it is sending my visitors away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mjparadac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Website too slow in loading

Post by mjparadac » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Hello winbelltrade

Have you checked your server settings?
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

Achaa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Achaa » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Going by your GTmetrix report, it seems that you need to optimise your images.
(Try reducing the file size.)
"Experts often possess more data than judgement."
All suggestions are given with good intent.
http://arbitrarytimes.com Where I test stuff.... :pop

helpwithjoomla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by helpwithjoomla » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:36 pm

GTMetrix is giving you suggestions for improving your scores. You'll need to educate yourself about each suggestion and then undertake those suggestions.

My first recommendation is to install an Extension like JCH Optimize which will do some of the work for you.
Joomla Developers Available To Help With Joomla!
https://www.helpwithjoomla.com

Ruin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Ruin » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Serving the scaled images can be time consuming. Is there any plugin you can use?

I would go through all my images, optimize them and also upload them at the correct size they will be rendered at. (eg. If a 600 x 600px image is being seen at 300 x 300px, rescale the image in Photoshop to 300 x 300 and reupload.

davidnguyen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by davidnguyen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:46 am

Hi,

From the screenshot. I think you will need to optimize your server configurations and your images as well. In the past I used to optimize our main site. This is the tips to optimize my site:
1. Optimize Server: I strongly recommend you should use the latest version of PHP and HTTP Web server
2. Minify CSS and Javascript: Nowadays, the compression feature is supported by almost templates.
3. Reduce HTTP Request: Reduce the more requests the best. You should combine your CSS and JS files
4. Use CDN for resources: You should use CDN for your asset files such as: JS, CSS and images files.
5. Caching: Use Browser HTTP cache and Server cache technique
6. Enable Gzip compression: This technique will compress your website resource, such as: JS, CSS and Images at server lever. That helps boots up your website loading
7. Optimize images: Using some of these extensions/services to optimize images: TinyJPG/PNG, Compressor.io, ImageOptimizer and Kraken.
8. Reduce Blocking Resources (CSS + JS): Check and remove all render-block javascript and CSS on your site

I hope these may help you.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:34 pm

One thing to improve the speed is to enable opcache in PHP-settings. it speeds up things as the php code is loaded in memory. In php 7.4 there is preload of php code for opcache.

davidnguyen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by davidnguyen » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:57 am

Slackervaara wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:34 pm
One thing to improve the speed is to enable opcache in PHP-settings. it speeds up things as the php code is loaded in memory. In php 7.4 there is preload of php code for opcache.
For more details of OPcache, please check the PHP documentation: https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.opcache.php

hoangtuan17
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hoangtuan17 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 am

Please follow the instructions of GTmetrix. Also, you should use Google Speed Insight to check the web. My website only D (68%) - B (86%) at GTmetrix, but Google Speed Insight gives 91 points (mobile) and 100 points (desktop).

extnbakers
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by extnbakers » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:08 am

This score and page load time can be improved dramatically if just improve the images being used on the website. If it is not possible to serve scaled images, you can just optimize images and make them lightweight to improve the performance.

Also, you can easily implement leverage browser caching and defer parsing javascript by using JCH plugin.

shantalkaya
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shantalkaya » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:05 am

OPtimize your Images in Websites
Remove Unwated Features or not in use
Use CDN like BelugaCDN, MaxCDN to improve the website speed all over the world

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:38 am

Stop!

There is a few things you need to consider before making any changes like optimizing images and combining css and js.

1. Images
If you are running a site that displays a huge lot of images on one page (like a photo site, flickr-a-like) DO optimize ALL your images. Thumbs as thumbs, previews as previews and on...
If you are running a news page, blog site etcetera... DO optimize your images to the largest possible view on screen... as in Joomla you can have a blog style page with images that are reused in the article view, having all optimized to size will cause extra requests, when optimizing to largest possible view and have css do the scaling will reduce the requests as image is already available in the browser cache.
There is no exact science on the amounts when and how to optimize, DO TEST.

2. Combining all js and css into one.
It may reduce calls on a page, but since extensions also may require their own js and css sometimes, these extensions do call them when active on one page but not the other, there are tons of different versions of your "combined" css and js.... this may lead to trouble and also like in the images you cannot profit from the browsers cache possibly. If you do, first DO TEST... and in this case, do remember what you did to eventually revert.

Same for all other minifyers, zippers and so called improvers...
Not all your features in your site allow a 100% GT metrix..

Concentrate on the "Leverage Browser Caching"..

And more important... check your actual page loads on each change to see the improvement... there are many "improvements" that may slow down your site.

Better... check your site, hit F12 and check console for errors (you may need to F5 again)
check you web server error log on regular basis to see if there are errors noted and what script is involved.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”