Using a customized Protostar template (with user.css) vs Purchased template

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
cool_hand_duke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Using a customized Protostar template (with user.css) vs Purchased template

Post by cool_hand_duke » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:03 am

Looking for some feedback for a small business website as to whether to use a template as commercially available (Joomshaper/Rocketheme or similar), or to create my own template using Protostar and with modifications using a user.css file.

I have a site that I originally built using the Helixultimate template, but within two weeks it had gone down. I would restore it from the Akeeba back up, but it would continually crash (hack?) every few weeks.
It only became stable when I deleted this template and the related extensions and rebuilt it with the built-in Protostar template.

Another question-if the user.css modifications are a good way to utilize the Protostar theme, how come it is difficult to find sample user.css files that could be copied to speed up creating a custom site? When I search the internet, I find virtually no complete user.css files that I could “copy and paste” into my site.

harperlala
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Using a customized Protostar template (with user.css) vs Purchased template

Post by harperlala » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 am

Jaydot
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Jaydot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:59 am

It's not that simple...
I use modified Protostar templates all the time, but custom css alone won't get you very far.
You can copy and paste my custom css (your dev tools will let you do that) but it won't do you any good at all, because it targets loads of divs and css-classes I added manually to the HTML of my site.
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:51 am

I find the Helix3 (not Helixultimate) pretty good, and stable, even on PHP 7.3 and Joomla 3.9.12 (per the site's change log for that template, last update was December 2018).

I didn't find any issues with Helix Ultimate either, although I don't use it but did initial testing with it.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:35 am

Copy the Protostar template to a custom folder and customise the template there.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:12 pm

I'm not going to weigh-in on any debate about which templates may be better for one website or another. I'm definitely not going to weigh-in on any discussion about comparisons between one template system vs. another. Lastly, Protostar is a basic template that's capable of being customised by writing CSS, adding those rules to the file user.css, and not losing those customisations because of updates to Joomla!

In other words, if people understand the principles of how to customise a template's CSS, there should be no excuses—allowing for unforeseen "bugs", of course—for not updating to the latest version of J! as, and when, those new versions are released.

Having written all of this, the OP asks the question about where to find examples of other people's use(s) of Protostar template customisations. The simple answer is ... search the internet for them. A couple of examples where enthusiasts have published their own customised templates, based on Protostar, are:
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”