Missing menu and pages after update

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
CaptObvious
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Missing menu and pages after update

Post by CaptObvious » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 am

NOTE: I have no prior experience with Joomla

I have inherited this site built with Joomla, and I updated it from 3.6.x to the latest version 3.9.x

There now seems to be some pages which are missing from the main menu and are giving 404 errors.

How can I get these back?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Missing menu and pages after update

Post by toivo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 am

Welcome to the Joomla forums!

More details would help us understand what is going on. Which type of pages and URLs are those that give 404 errors? Are they at the front end or the back end of the website?

The last version of Joomla 3.6 was released three years ago. If the missing menu items involve third party extensions and those extensions have not been updated, many of those extensions may not work in Joomla 3.9.

Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions from https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ and the volunteers here may be able to give you some advice how to proceed in sorting out the issues.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

CaptObvious
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by CaptObvious » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 am

Here is a broken page.
http://henryconstruction.co.uk/contact.html

Here is how the site looked previously.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190410120 ... ntact.html

You can see the 2 items (contact, why us) are now missing from the menu.

There is only one out of date plugin showing, which I am not currently able to update.
JCE Editor Pro
current version 2.5.28
latest version 2.6.38

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:35 am

Go to the back end and use Menus to check the menu entries in the top menu. Are the last two entries still there and what is the contents of those Link fields?

Can you use the contents of the Link field in those last two entries to browse to those pages?

Use the Developer tools in Google Chrome, press F12, go to the tab Console and check if any javascript errors are reported when you try to browse to the two missing pages.

Which menu module generates the top menu? Is that extension uptodate? The FPA results would be helpful so that others could also check the list of installed extensions.

CaptObvious wrote:JCE Editor Pro
current version 2.5.28
latest version 2.6.38
Your site has the JCE version that supports both Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.x, updated in April. The latest version of JCE Editor for 3.x and 4 is 2.7.19, updated two weeks ago.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”