Portfolio extension

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Portfolio extension

Post by Ch3vr0n » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm

As a hobby web builder, i've created a couple sites now (to my clients content luckily). I'd like to showcase them now on a new site i'm building for myself. The problem is that when searching the JEL just about any portfolio extension i look at hasn't been updated since 2018 or worse.

Does anyone know any good (free) portfolio extensions

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Portfolio extension

Post by AMurray » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Maybe you don't necessarily have to use a "portfolio" extension - you could use a photo gallery extension instead. https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... a-gallery/ (Updated April 2019) is by a well-known developer, and free.

You may have missed these, below, both had updates done in 2019 (contrary to your comment in your OP).

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/tz-portfolio/ (Free, updated November 2019).

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... folio-pro/ (updated March 2019)

I don't know your definition of "Good" in the context of your question - an online portfolio is simply a collection & presentation of your work, typically in a gallery format - with images of websites, and short description about each. I think you can accomplish that with Phoca Gallery.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ch3vr0n » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:37 am

I was already using a gallery type extension, so i'll definitely check things out. I know phoco through i'm guessing it'll be a bit overkill for the needs. As you said, everyone's definition of good is different, i realise that myself. I'm the only one that can judge if it's "good enough" for me.

If you have any other suggestions you thinkn might fit the bill, do let me know.

I'm looking for 3 main features

1. Responsive
2. Easy to use to add images in categories/folders
3. Being able to "link" them or add a link below them (so that for example when clicked on, the visitor gets directed to the site in question)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:49 pm

"Any other suggestions...." separate suggestions numbered below.

You stated this is a hobby site, so not for a business per se. ???

(1) I'd still suggest TZ Portfolio; at very least, evaluate its suitability; install it, test it. Check out its demo in the developer's site.

(2) If you don't have a huge number of sites for your portfolio, you could create articles for each site, include images and links, and the menu item can be a "featured articles" menu item so you see them all in one screen, with links to the individual detail.

(3) Build one page, with (say) a three-column table layout (e.g. utilised bootstrap tables). Put your individual project information into custom HTML modules, then "include" them in the main page's table; the result is (for example) 3 x 9 table with your sites. Repeat the process for additional sites; use the inbuilt pagination for "next" and "previous" links.

The custom modules could include a thumbnail image, and brief info with a "read more" link that then links to the main article(s) about the site(s).

Joomla core has an easy way to insert a module anywhere - not just in module positions, and the third party extension "Modules Anywhere" achieves this too. It might be a bit more clunky doing it this way, but for situations if you only have a handful of projects you want to promote, it could be another easier solution.

(4) Try one of the Content Construction Kit (CCK) "Page Builder" components such as those listed on https://extensions.joomla.org/tags/cont ... struction/. These CCK's would easily allow you to to create multi-column pages and produce a suitable layout for your portfolio.

(2) to (4) above will likely have varying degrees of time and effort involved but up to you to decide what is easiest for you.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ch3vr0n » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:15 pm

It's kind of both. hobby developer with a small business :) I'll use phoca for now until i'm used to TZ, initial impression is either complicated or overwhelming :) Not sure which is which yet. Thought it would be more of an image gallery but seems to be some kind of "article page" creator or something.

Thanks for the idea's!

mjparadac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mjparadac » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 am

Hello, I have used TZ Portfolio in the past and have obtained good results. You could try it if it fits your needs. https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/tz-portfolio/

Regards,
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ch3vr0n » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:34 pm

I already am. Currently getting some support to on their forums to figure things out. It's definitely not like what i was used to using, but i don't like to continue using extensions if they havent been updated in 6 months. Too much of a potential security risk.

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Ch3vr0n » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Forgive this double post (though there's a day between them), The folks at TZ forums guided me to get things working. i've had a chance at tinker with it a little and it's a very powerful thing indeed. Takes some getting used to but might just fit the bill of what i need and then some :)

Definitely worth digging into deeper and by all counts, if things keep working like they are now, it'll be my new go-to. Many thanks for pointing me to TZPortfolio!

See my initial "problem" was the "articles" thing. If i wanted to create a photogallery portfolio, why would i need an article (which usually refers to written word content).

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”