Quarantining the forum

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with joomla.org, community.joomla.org, forum.joomla.org, vel.joomla.org.
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Quarantining the forum

Post by sozzled » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm

In the current circumstances, where worldwide attention is focused on the increasing concern over the risks with the COVID19 pandemic, it's not "business as usual" and none of us is immune from the effects of service closures because of the non-availability of people to provide those services. We live in a time that's unprecendented in living memory and we must not forget that we are people first (and our personal health and continued well-being) must be always be foremost in our minds.

I salute the resilience and continued dedication of our forum moderators—people like @toivo, @pe7er, @imanickam, @mandville, @Per Yngve Berg (among others, of course)—who regularly patrol the forum and keep it "clean". Thank you for your work; I appreciate what you do and the hours you put into forum activities ... what we read here and your work behind-the-scenes. Even though we may sometimes disagree with you, we respect what you do and your selfless dedication to the foum community.

In these unprecedented times, though, it must be difficult dealing with all sorts of external pressures: caring about one's own health and well-being, caring about the health and well-being of one's family, one's household and the needs of those we care most about. And so I want to say that I would like to suggest an idea that will allow our forum moderators to deal first with their own immediate personal needs, to be able to put those needs ahead of our "needs", and allow you some respite from the daily chores that forum moderators would normally give attention to.

To our dedicated team of forum moderators: I would not like to wish upon myself your responsibilities. It must be difficult, to give your attention to us while, in at the back of your minds, you must be experiencing the heightened concerns around the world about this pandemic and how (and when) you may be directly impacted by them.

For these reasons, only, I would like to suggest that we eliminate one of the major sources of work "imposed" on the moderation team. This is how we can deal with the ever-present scourge of unwanted, irrelevant rubbish posted on the forum, the misinformation (about any number of things) posted on the forum, to "quarantine" ourselves from the menace of "spam" (for want of a better term) ... at least for the duration of the current pandemic situation. I suggest, in all seriousness, to lock-down the ability for new user registrations.

I realise that, by locking-down new registrations, this will prevent people from creating an account for *genuine* purposes and it's unfortunate that the "good" will be affected as much as the "bad" as a result. However, locking-down new account registrations will not affect the thousands of existing forum users who already have a functioning account and it will not affect their ability to continue to use the forum. I am only suggesting that, for a limited time that we implement this restriction to give our moderation team some breathing space. Perhaps this breathing space may be more literal than we think? Anyway, it's a suggestion and I offer it in the genuine spirit of allowing our moderators some "time off" to concentrate on their own personal well-being.

Best regards to everyone. My thoughts and prayers are for the physical and mental well-being of the people in this community.

Michael Russell
Last edited by sozzled on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Quarantining the forum

Post by Webdongle » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Now you are being silly. It will give them something else to think about instead of the virus :D
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Achaa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Achaa » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:22 am

sozzled wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm
I suggest, in all seriousness, to lock-down the ability for new user registrations.
No, I disagree.
Not one single decent person should have to suffer a lack of (volunteer) support due to spammers.
"Experts often possess more data than judgement."
All suggestions are given with good intent.
http://arbitrarytimes.com Where I test stuff.... :pop

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:24 am

NON-official declaration

We, the Global Forum Moderators have already moved to hidden places in separate subterranean blockhaus, said Good Bye to our families and usual low-money-earning jobs to concentrate only on Joomla forum.

We use satellite transmission to prevent being infected by land lines.

We did not wait for recently created toilet-paper fighting lobbies to know what was our ultimate duty.

Our motto will remain: "In killing spammers we trust!"

arc_paris2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:44 am

+1 @Webdongle :)
+1 @infograf768 :D
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”