Does Joomla have a built-in feature to allow download of files not restricted by type? Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gandsnut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Does Joomla have a built-in feature to allow download of files not restricted by type?

Post by gandsnut » Tue May 19, 2020 1:42 pm

I've tried perhaps 5 free "file download" components. They're all overkill, and far too convoluted. I want to offer simple, basic downloads of files w/o extension, and those w/ extension will be 'C' source (file.c). I don't need to track statistics or the like. I've already tried to create a new folder under 'images' (such as where the 'userdata' pool for site graphics is), but any such area won't allow files w/o extension, or files that aren't graphics.

Any suggestion? Thx.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Does Joomla have a built-in feature to allow download of files not restricted by type?

Post by darb » Tue May 19, 2020 2:21 pm

I still think you should use a easy Joomla extension like Firedrive etc its easy to set up and config for Joomla media manager https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/firedrive/ give it a try and you see it will be very useful for many future needs too..
Last edited by toivo on Tue May 19, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: URL changed to point to JED - please observe the forum rules, available from https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

gandsnut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Does Joomla have a built-in feature to allow download of files not restricted by type?

Post by gandsnut » Tue May 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Firedrive is, well, poorly documented, and I've had to email the person who created the Component to discover how to use it. And - like other Components I tried, it seems to make the whole process far more complicated than what I am looking for.

I was hoping for this kind of approach:
1) allow upload of one or many files to the Joomla site,
2) provide a way to insert a SIMPLE LINK to said file, in an Article

This would seem as straightforward as possible, but not the way developers think it should work.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu May 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Are the files to be downloaded, accessible to any user so no login restrictions?

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
#Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services
STAY SAFE!

gandsnut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gandsnut » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm

leolam wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Are the files to be downloaded, accessible to any user so no login restrictions?

Leo 8)
Yep, that would be fine. So the user clicks on a link, and - hopefully - their computer offers the option to view or download. You know of some way to add this to my Articles? Thx.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm

I would have used Phoca Download with the additional Content Plugin and Editor XTD Button Plugin.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm
I would have used Phoca Download with the additional Content Plugin and Editor XTD Button Plugin.
I use the "Attachments" component. It's fine with Joomla 3.9.x but not sure about J4... I need to test it soon.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.19 and PHP7.3.x

gandsnut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gandsnut » Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 am

JAVesey wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 pm
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
I use the "Attachments" component. It's fine with Joomla 3.9.x but not sure about J4... I need to test it soon.
Mucho thanks, will look into Attachments straight-away.

gandsnut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gandsnut » Fri May 22, 2020 4:43 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
I think I did install and tried Phoca out, but was put off by the many features, bells & whistles. Perhaps I'm asking too much to get super simplicity. Thx.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 am

This is also a good alternativ free Quantum manager https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... m-manager/
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!

Darb - aka ssnobben

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri May 22, 2020 9:31 am

So ...

... to answer the original question—Does Joomla have a built-in feature to allow download of files not restricted by type?—the answer appears to be *drum roll, please* ... no.

But there are lots of extensions that people are saying will do the job! ;)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm

gandsnut wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:43 am
I think I did install and tried Phoca out, but was put off by the many features, bells & whistles. Perhaps I'm asking too much to get super simplicity. Thx.
It should work out of the box. Create a category and make download files.
Did you install the two plugins?

One for adding entries into articles.
The other shows a button below the editor to insert the plugin code like the Read More Button.

gandsnut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gandsnut » Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 pm

With the Rolling Stones lyrics ringing in my ears - "You can't always get what you want..." - I'll say this issue is closed for me. The suggested "Quantum Manager" is as best as I can find so far. Appreciated.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 pm

gandsnut wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 pm
With the Rolling Stones lyrics ringing in my ears - "You can't always get what you want..." - I'll say this issue is closed for me. The suggested "Quantum Manager" is as best as I can find so far. Appreciated.
Great that it worked for you in the end and this plg also make automatic file renamer but I dont know if it work with Quantum manager as well. If this is something you need control over https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... e-renamer/

Darb - aka ssnobben

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”