Inherited site, hosted on SiteGround, I want to start over

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
FLBASG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Inherited site, hosted on SiteGround, I want to start over

Post by FLBASG » Sat May 23, 2020 2:54 am

Where do I begin. I inherited this site and I have no help with navigating it. I have tried to do research, watched the videos, read the forums, but every time I find a fix, it doesn’t work. I know that is vague, but this process has made me feel like I am just plain stupid. I want to cry. Is there a way to wipe it and start over? I don’t want to lose our domain or emails. I don’t care about anything else. I was even desperate enough to try to migrate to Wordpress, but I can’t get the plugin. Please help! Joomla 2.5.25 super user.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Inherited site, hosted on SiteGround, I want to start over

Post by toivo » Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 am

Welcome to the forum!

If you inherited the site, check that you have the necessary details of the domain name, like the DNS provider and when the domain will expire.

Do you have Super User access to the back end of the website?

This topic is in the Joomla 3.x forum and your site uses the previous version, Joomla 2.5, which had its End-Of-Life, end of normal support, already several years ago. It is possible to migrate the site to Joomla 3.x, assuming that uses supported third party extensions, available from Joomla Extensions Directory. The migration process has been explained in detail in the sticky topics at the top of the Migration to 3.x forum.

Of course, if you want start from scratch, there is plenty of documentation and training videos available. Ask any questions here at the support forums.

All you need to do is to wipe the Joomla folder clean and drop the current database schema or all the database tables using the utilities in the cPanel provided by your host. Then download the current Joomla 3.9.18 from https://downloads.joomla.org/, upload to the main Joomla folder and run through the installation process.

If you would like to practice off-line on your workstation, rather than the live site, you can install the Wampserver bundle and have a number of test sites, even backup the live site and install it on localhost and test anything there.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 am

Hi,
That version of Joomla went to end of life at the end of 2014 and while it is possible to migrate the site to the most recent version it really is not worth the trouble unless the site contains something irreplaceable, which is unlikely.
The site is made up of two parts: the site files and the database. You should have access to the cPanel provided by your host and from there you can delete all the site files from the www or html folder and drop the database.
Your rebuild can start with the most recent version of Joomla uploaded and installed into the new clean space.
https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Getting_St ... ith_Joomla! will help.

Edit: Nǐ hǎo nǐ hǎo ma Toivo. You type much faster than I!
Last edited by abernyte on Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly…Thomas Paine

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 am

FLBASG wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:54 am
Is there a way to wipe it and start over?
Yes. A Jooma website, no matter what version we're describing, consists of two main parts: (a) the files, and (b) the database tables.

Deleting the files is easy; deleting (technically, the term is to DROP) the tables is a little more complicated but your webhosting provider probably has tools (e.g. phpMyAdmin) that will allow you to do those things. However ...

... if you are a total novice and you don't know how to delete files or DROP database tables, it would be worth asking someone who knows about these things. It may also be a good idea to keep a backup copy of your website (... just in case).

Alternatively, and this may be easier, simply create a new folder in your file system, create a new database and a new database user (with ALL PRIVS) and point your existing domain at this new folder. After doing that, install the latest version of J! 3 (currently J! 3.9.18) in this new folder and then you can begin the process of building your website anew.

I kind of disagree with @toivo: migrating from J! 2.5.28 to J! 3.9.18 is not three-mouse-clicks-and-hey-presto-instant-success. It takes a day or two to complete the transformation process (even if the actual migration procedure, itself, is only an hour). Yeah, it's possible (as @abernyte rightly says) but it's t-r-i-c-k-y. ;)

Internet domains and emails operate independently of websites (whether we're discussing Wordpress—which we're not—or Joomla!). Wiping a website is not the same as erasing a domain; deleting a website is not the same as trashing the emails.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 am

Noting the OP is with SiteGround who are in the process of changing over their hosting administration systems from cPanel to their own, so it may be advisable in the first instance that @FLBASG gets some assistance from SG support, especially if looking for things like the database tools or file manager tools (equivalent of the cPanel functions) and not altogether familiar with these sorts of things
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat May 23, 2020 3:49 am

Hey, guys, ... while we could have a great panel discussion among ourselves, I don't think this helps. From the sounds of things (and from the way that the opening post was written), the OP is not only out of their depth in managing a Joomla! website—a website that probably hasn't been maintained for several years—but they're probably ill-equipped to comprehend with the techno-babble we're writing.

If the situation is urgent (and, given that PHP 5.x support is barely on life-support at the moment) and the website is required (and who knows even if a website is needed if they "don't care about anything else" apart from losing their domain name and email accounts) then I think the OP should pause, reflect, draw breath and approach this purely as a matter of business. I know, don't say it, I don't do sympathy very well. There's no room in business for sympathy.

I remember the first time I built a website in J!. I had the benefit of 10 years in website design, development and was pretty handy with programming languages. The first thing I did before I built my first J! website (which lasted three-quarters of an hour before I trashed it) was to buy a book and read it from cover to cover; I spent two days learning the terminology before I even cranked up the keyboard and mouse ...

I'm not saying that everyone should read a book. I am saying, however, we should not second-guess everyone else's technical expertise by our own standards. 8)

To the OP (@FLBASG): perhaps you might consider employing someone to manage your website for you until you feel more confident and able to "fly solo"?
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

FLBASG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by FLBASG » Sat May 23, 2020 4:04 am

@sozzled thank you for the input. I have spent the last week watching training videos, reading tutorials, searching forums, etc. I don’t have the option of hiring someone. We are a nonprofit who sometimes can’t even afford to pay the three of us employees. I don’t mind losing the info because it is outdated and needs to be changed anyways. I keep reading how “easy” this is supposed to be and that is not the case. Yes, I have never built a website before - that’s probably obvious. But I consider myself tech savvy in other ways and I need to be able to update the website as needed in house. Even though I supposedly have the appropriate permissions as a super user, I’m not able to compete the tasks as shown in any video. Doing research has actually made this harder and more frustrating because none of it seems to work. I will reach out to SiteGround for help.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 am

I was actually trying to be of real help. Most people (who have never built a website before) probably would not even understand technical terms like webhosting provider, cPanel, "end-of-life", sticky topic, PHP ... and all the other stuff we've written. Add to those things a suggestion of "migration" and "extensions" and ... *yikes* ... even I would want to head elsewhere. :eek:

I tell you what I will do for you (and this is a one-time offer because I'm feeling in a sympathetic mood): if you are fluent in conversational English, I'll talk with you (via Skype) for a maximum of one hour at no charge. If you're interested, contact me by email (the link is under my photo, to the right of what you're now reading); send me your Skype contact details, have a microphone handy, and I'll contact you that way. OK? :pop

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am

@OP:
I'm on Siteground and use their new portal. It has all the same functionality, just looks a bit different on first entry. Happy to help you with SG stuff and you're welcome to DM on here if you think I can help.

I'd recommend getting an off-site working copy of your site as it exists at the moment onto your local PC. I use MAMP as my AMP stack (Mac user) but Windows alternatives are available. You should be able to upgrade to current from there and then transfer it back to your SG space. I'm no expert at migrating from 2.5x to 3.x but lots of others on here will help and there's the guide available too.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.18 and PHP7.3.x

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 am

sozzled wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 am
Deleting the files is easy; deleting (technically, the term is to DROP) the tables is a little more complicated but your webhosting provider probably has tools (e.g. phpMyAdmin) that will allow you to do those things. However ...

... if you are a total novice and you don't know how to delete files or DROP database tables, it would be worth asking someone who knows about these things. It may also be a good idea to keep a backup copy of your website (... just in case).
phpMyAdmin and other db tools are available on SG, and they should be taking automatic daily backups (files and db) as part of their service. Personally, I don't rely on it (I take/keep my own) but the SG backup files are in my webspace.

OP probably needs to contact SG to see which level of service is being used.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 am

sozzled wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 am
I tell you what I will do for you (and this is a one-time offer because I'm feeling in a sympathetic mood): if you are fluent in conversational English, I'll talk with you (via Skype) for a maximum of one hour at no charge. If you're interested, contact me by email (the link is under my photo, to the right of what you're now reading); send me your Skype contact details, have a microphone handy, and I'll contact you that way. OK? :pop
Very helpful.

I'm on the other side of the world from you but will do likewise if the timezones are an issue for the OP. I like Zoom and Webex at the moment ;)

@OP: you're welcome to DM me and I'll talk you through SG. Zoom allows screen sharing which might be helpful for you.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”