Why does a new template installation affect a separate index folder? Topic is solved

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
hotelsinger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Why does a new template installation affect a separate index folder?

Post by hotelsinger » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:20 pm

Hello,

I've got my main website folder (MAIN SITE) as production, and a separate folder (TEST SITE) for testing new updates.

Both folders reside in www root. They each have their own separate config files and subfolders.

They also have different URLS:

localhost/MAIN_SITE/index.php

localhost/TEST_SITE/index.php

Recently, I was in the administrator dashboard for my TEST SITE, and I installed a RocketTheme template called Aurora for testing.

I only installed the new template to my TEST SITE. (Not my MAIN SITE) I double and triple checked this. Everything looked good on my test site when I opened it up in the browser.

HOWEVER, I then pulled up my MAIN SITE in the browser and the site failed to open. Instead, I got the following error notice:

Error: Could not find template "rt_aurora".

I expected to see my MAIN SITE come up with the theme it's already been using. I didn't expect it to look for the new Aurora theme.

Is that a mistake in my configuration? Do I have to install the same new template in every Joomla website I have?

If someone could please help explain the gap in my knowledge, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

I'm using:
Joomla 3.9.19
Windows 10 Home
Wamp 3.2.2.2 64 bit
PHP 7.3.12
Apache 2.4.4.1

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Why does a new template installation affect a separate index folder?

Post by AMurray » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 am

This would be a wild guess:

Check that the configuration.php file for each site, including the database name and table prefix - are these exactly the same, or different?

I think what's happened is that both sites are working from the same database and same set of database tables (not differentiated by table prefix) and so any change made to "test" is applied to "main", including your new template.

The "main" site produces the "template not found" error because it is trying to load the new template, as set in the database, but can't find the actual physical files in "main/templates".

The expected behaviour is as you have already stated, "Main" should be using the original template.

To test my theory, change the template in "Test", to one you you know is installed in both sites e.g. Protostar. Does "main" now function as normal (under this test scenario)?

Please post back with results of the above test before we can move on.

The solution ultimately would be making a new copy of "test", restoring it to the "main" folder, and in the restoration process, specify either a new database, or new table prefix for "main" so then it operates fully independently of "test". Using Akeeba Backup and Kickstart would allow the copy/restoration to be done easily and efficiently.

However, I could be on the wrong track here but from your description of the problem, the above is a likely scenario but perhaps not the only one.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:02 am

AMurray wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 am
This would be a wild guess:...

...I think what's happened is that both sites are working from the same database and same set of database tables (not differentiated by table prefix) and so any change made to "test" is applied to "main", including your new template.
I read the OP's post and was about to reply with the same thing.

Use separate databases for both sites if you can:
1. Make a new database with a different name from "main site" and set user credentials
2. Export the "main site" database
3. Import it into the new database
4. Edit configuration.php for "test site" to reflect the new database
5. Install new template to "main site" and then uninstall it (to remove database tables from"main site" database)

HTH
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.19 and PHP7.3.x

hotelsinger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hotelsinger » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks very much! You're correct that I am using the same database for both sites. It hadn't occurred to me because the sites have different paths. I've set up separate databases for each site and that solves my issue.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:43 pm

These forum contributor(s!!) ROCK!

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
#Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”