Update to PHP 7.3.19 - Non Static Error

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Jamjar42
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Update to PHP 7.3.19 - Non Static Error

Post by Jamjar42 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi There,

This is my first post to the forum, but I'm a longtime lurker who has been doing my best to migrate joomla after taking the reigns of a small website for the company I work for. I'm not formally trained in any website admin, but I've been a quick study and with the help of the forums, the bulk of my queries are usually answered in other people's posts.

I do have a head scratcher that I haven't found an answer for that I hope you might be able to help with.

I've updated the website to PHP 7.3.19 and come across some error codes on the front end, I was able to fix the non static method error for the ::getmenu issue, but I haven't found a fix for the two following errors I still have...

Deprecated: Non-static method mod_fancypantsaccordionHelper::getList() should not be called statically in /var/www/vhosts/weybrookpark.co.uk/httpdocs/modules/mod_fancypantsaccordion/mod_fancypantsaccordion.php on line 16

Deprecated: Non-static method mod_fancypantsaccordionHelper::load_jquery() should not be called statically in /var/www/vhosts/weybrookpark.co.uk/httpdocs/modules/mod_fancypantsaccordion/mod_fancypantsaccordion.php on line 21

Could you help me with what code would I need to replace on line 16 and 21 respectively please?

Kind regards
Jamjar
Last edited by toivo on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Administration

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Update to PHP 7.3.19 - Non Static Error

Post by gws » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm

Are you using the latest version (10.1) of fancypantsaccordion ?

Jamjar42
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jamjar42 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi again,

I suspect I'm not, I've been using the joomla extensions update to find which items need updating and it hadn't flagged up.

That said the only reference to an accordion is one titled Code 7 Responsive Accordion, so I assume they are connected and will do a manual update now.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction, I would've taken for granted that the extension was using the Joomla! Update System!

Edit: Ah just seen a notification from the Code 7 team on facebook and it looks like they shut up shop so I may not be able to update this after all.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:56 pm

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Jamjar42 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 pm
I suspect I'm not, I've been using the joomla extensions update to find which items need updating and it hadn't flagged up.
Not all extensions use the Update Notification System.

Might be wise to audit all your extensions (comonents, modules, plugins and templates) and make a note to manually check those that don't for updates periodically.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.19 and PHP7.3.x

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm

JAVesey wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:56 pm
Not all extensions use the Update Notification System.
That's quite true.

There's also another issue about the failure to be notified of the availability of new releases for J! extensions even for those extensions that do use Joomla! update notification functionality. I encounter this other problem quite often. Fortunately for me, I have several websites and sometimes I discover, by accident (or sheer luck), that new versions are available for software that I use.

Occasionally (and I don't understand why) the Update Sites list needs to be "refreshed" or rebuilt (to use the correct technical term). To access these "update sites", go to Extensions » Manage » Update Sites.

Independently of whether you have explicitly enabled or disabled an update site and even if you go to Extensions » Manage » Update, click Clear Cache and then click Find Updates, some of your extension (for which there are updates available) will still not appear on the list! :eek:

It's not necessarily "Joomla's fault" that this happens. It's just a fact.

This is what I do:
  1. Go to Extensions » Manage » Update Sites
  2. Click Rebuild. The list will be rebuilt and those extensions known to the website will appear as "enabled" (meaning that any software that still uses the Joomla! update notification functionality should be captured when you search for updates.
  3. Go to Extensions » Manage » Update
  4. Click Clear Cache.
  5. Find Updates
You may find some extensions for which there are updates available and you can then decide to install them or not. If you don't find any extensions for which there are updates, there could be any number of reasons for that, including
  1. The extension developer has moved their operations to a different domain or their business has been taken over by someone else;
  2. the version of the extension you installed on your website did not use the Joomla! update notification functionality at the time that version was installed on your website. It's possible that a later version now includes the Joomla! update notification functionality;
  3. the extension really does not use the Joomla! update notification functionality even if you've read claims by its developer that it does!
  4. there was a problem connecting to the developer's update server; and/or
  5. there are no further updates available and you have the "latest" version.
A quick rule of thumb when it comes to understanding PHP 7.x errors: look at the release date of the version of PHP that you're using on your website and compare that date with the "release date" (and last update date) shown on JED listing for extensions that you have installed. It's quite likely that any extension released before the release of the version of PHP that you're using may not have been updated to cater for the changes introduced with that version of PHP.

Finally, (and thanks if you've read this far), see
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:06 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm
  1. Go to Extensions » Manage » Update Sites
  2. Click Rebuild. The list will be rebuilt and those extensions known to the website will appear as "enabled" (meaning that any software that still uses the Joomla! update notification functionality should be captured when you search for updates.
  3. Go to Extensions » Manage » Update
  4. Click Clear Cache.
  5. Find Updates
8)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.19 and PHP7.3.x

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”