Any extensions regarding javascript?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Post Reply
remlitkai
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 am

Any extensions regarding javascript?

Post by remlitkai » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 am

Hello, are there any extensions to notify users to enable javascript? I get emails from users how they have to use these tutorials [ redacted ] and it's kinda annoying.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: URL removed, please observe the warning about including links to non-Joomla websites!

 
User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar
Posts: 9172
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Any extensions regarding javascript?

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am

It's pretty simple. (The short answer is, no, I am unaware of any "extensions to notify users to enable Javascript in whatever flavour-of-the-month web browser they're using).

If people choose to disable Javascript in their web browser they won't be able to use your J! website. For that matter, if they choose to disable Javascript in their website, they won't be able to use any J!, Wordpress, Drupal, Qix ... or just about any modern website on the internet. I wouldn't worry about it. That's their problem.

You should concentrate on 99.9% of people who leave Javascript enabled and let the other 0.1% of people (who disable Javascript) go about their business in ignorance. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

User avatar
AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5766
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: Any extensions regarding javascript?

Post by AMurray » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 pm

I would say, the simplest way, put a notice in the footer of your site, advising users they need to enable Javascript, or you could do the same, with an bootstrap alert box (with 'close' button) as perhttps://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_alerts.asp. Also refer to the example demonstrating the alert boxes with the close button link https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/try ... &stacked=h.

Anything else (like pop-up boxes etc) will likely use Javascript, so are not going to help here.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar
Posts: 9172
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: Any extensions regarding javascript?

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:54 pm

How can you generate a "bootstrap alert box" without jQuery (Javascript)?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

User avatar
toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 12510
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Location: Suzhou, China

Re: Any extensions regarding javascript?

Post by toivo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:41 am

remlitkai wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 am
are there any extensions to notify users to enable javascript?
Extensions are not required, as long as the template framework allows a notification with the <noscript> tag to be added to the header of the template: HTML <noscript> Tag.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

User avatar
AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5766
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: Any extensions regarding javascript?

Post by AMurray » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 am

Extensions are not required, as long as the template framework allows a notification with the <noscript> tag to be added to the header of the template: HTML <noscript> Tag.
Easy! I should have thought of that and of course should have realised Bootstrap consists of JQuery
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

 

Post Reply

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”