[Solved] Can't upload anything - images, PDFs, Components

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
shifty_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[Solved] Can't upload anything - images, PDFs, Components

Post by shifty_ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 am

Hi Guys

I am a bit stuck here - I can't upload anything to the site from any section that has a browse button.

Trying to install components, modules or templates:
- It says "There was an error uploading this file to the server."
- Uploading to a folder using the FTP client then installing from directory worked fine.

Trying to upload images (.jpg, .gif, .png etc.) in Media manager or an article:
- It says "Not a valid image."

Trying to upload PDFs in Media manager:
- It says:
JFile::read: Unable to open file: ''
Warning: Failed to move file!
Error. Unable to upload file.

There have been a lot of posts about this and I have tried all of the fixes that I have found but nothing has worked for me yet - so I need to involve the greater Joomla! community in the hope one of you gurus can steer me in the right direction.

Details of my setup (copy and pasted from System Info):

Database Version: 4.1.22
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.6
Web Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7m
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.7 Production/Stable [ Wovusani ] 9-September-2008 23:00 GMT

Other stuff not mentioned above:

PHP Server API = CGI (that seemed to be important in other posts)
All directory permissions = writable

Things I have tried so far that haven't worked:
Tried with Flash uploader enabled and disabled
Tried with FTP layer enabled and disabled
Made tmp folder 777
Updated var $live-site = ''; with website address
Confirmed tmp folder location (Humvee said the check cache aswell but not sure where that is)
And finally, crossed my fingers and wished (with eyes open :eek: and shut :D )

Now it's over to you... :pop

Thanks in advance

shifty
Last edited by shifty_ on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

almamun
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Can't upload anything - images, PDFs, Components, modules

Post by almamun » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Check FTP setting under Global Configuration
Bengali (Bangladesh) Forum Moderator

http://amviro.com - Web & App Development.

shifty_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shifty_ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi almamun

Thanks for that - but I have messed with those settings by enabling and trying all the logical possibilities and also disabling all together.
shifty_ wrote:Things I have tried so far that haven't worked:
Tried with Flash uploader enabled and disabled
Tried with FTP layer enabled and disabled
But that hasn't worked.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

shifty_

shifty_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shifty_ » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:08 am

Solved!! 8)

This is what ended up solving my issue:

I re-enabled the flash uploader and disabled FTP as they (i.e. Joomla) was not the problem.

My host had failed to put a php.ini file in my hosting directory therefore even though I had a TMP folder with the right permissions, PHP was not configured to use. So 2 minutes on the phone to my host and they had it sorted.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks

shifty

landergren
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: [Solved] Can't upload anything - images, PDFs, Components

Post by landergren » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:29 am

Thanks shifty_ - so many people have had the same problem, and there have been a lot of workarounds, but your answer makes sense and WORKS!

I have distilled your answer and will post it (with attribution) to some of the other threads.

Don

Bennethon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bennethon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:46 pm

I have a same issue. Fresh Joomla install here on my local machine. So... where should my php.ini be located?

sisaenko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sisaenko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 pm

I have exactly the same problem and I have tried everything mentioned. I need help.

I can't upload any files using media manager using either backend or frontend.
However, I can install components / templates etc. fine. its just media manager.

I also get the same error when uploading:

* JFile::read: Unable to open file: ''
* JFTP::store: Bad response
* Warning: Failed to move file!
* Error. Unable to upload file.

One thing I tried which worked very suprisingly but is not a suitable solution is:
I opened the .doc file that gave an error, deleted some text to reduce file size from 2.3mg to 1mg and tried to upload again and it worked, file was uploaded and appeared in the folder. FTP settings were on and Flash uploader disabled. - Seems like some sort of a file size error.

I changed file size limit max to 100mg, but that didnt change anything, I still get the error, and I still get a successfull upload when I change file size.

Help? Ideas?

sisaenko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sisaenko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 pm

Update to this issue:

I have been trying to upload various files, now I was able to upload an image file fine, .jpg file of my desktop, but then I try to upload a .doc file and that one gives out mentioned above error.

And Yes, I checked allowed file extensions and .doc is allowed.

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by pxforti » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 pm

I just had similar problem on hostmonster. The default php setting for max file upload was 2meg, rediculously small. I'm used to 64M as a default. To see check this in joomla, Help > System Info > PHP > upload_max_filesize
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

remybach
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by remybach » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:32 am

Hey there,

Thanks for posting your solution as this has been a real pain to figure out... however, I'm struggling to get this to work for me!

Could you possibly let me know where exactly your host put the file? I've currently got mine at /usr/home/USERNAME/php.ini (the host initially had put it under /usr/home/USERNAME/www/php.ini). Also, mine's set up to point to a tmp directory outside of my joomla folder (I have joomla currently set up under a staging directory at /usr/home/USERNAME/www/htdocs/staging). Also... I plan to install the live site on the same server (obviously in a different directory - probably called 'live' - which I will point to in an .htaccess file), so will having the php.ini where it currently is be a problem later?

Also, just a thought... I tried changing some of the settings as well as moving the php.ini file (as mentioned above) to no avail. Does it take time for the changes to take effect perhaps?

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind Regards,
Remy

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by pxforti » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Not sure where they put it. I think it depends on the type of hosting / server you have. I think it's different on shared hosting and a private server.
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

remybach
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by remybach » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Wow... just realized that I said "also" a heck of a lot in that reply! Lol... my bad...

Ok, thanks for your reply. Looks like I'm just going to have to keep tinkering about with this until it comes right then... Sigh...
- remybach

amns
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by amns » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks pxforti!
You solved my problem!

bushsong
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: [Solved] Can't upload anything - images, PDFs, Component

Post by bushsong » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:18 am

First of all, I am puzzled as to why this issue is marked as solved. I see no specific resolution to the matter. It would seem that a local php.ini is required, but what are the specific parameters that are required in order to resolve this issue.

I am running on my own VPS, I have JomSocial installed on the site and have no issues uploading photos, videos etc to Jomsocial, but a Publisher cannot upload images to an item without getting the error messages mentioned above.

If there are specific parameter required in the php.ini file, then could someone post what they are please.

Thank you,

hearingv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by hearingv » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 am

I have been wrestling with not being able to upload images with media manager and found the following that I had to do.

go to
Site>Global Configuration>system.
I did the following changes here

>Web services checked enabled
>Media settings changed Restrict uploads to no
> enable flash uploader checked no ( not sure if this is relevant,)

Then went to
Site> Global Configuration> Server
FTP settings checked enable.

came out of the whole thing.
When I went back in again at the top of the Server page it had 2 new boxes -enter FTP user name and password to be able to configure php. ( or something like that)
So I entered the name and password to access the ftp that I use on the server.

When I then went back to media manager I was able to upload images.

hearingv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by hearingv » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:36 am

I can also now load images directly from the article -yay yay

miamiguy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by miamiguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:42 pm

If you are using godaddy hosting go into your hosting account dashboard. Then go to settings, extension manager, on all three .php, .php4 and .php5, edit and change to the php4 without the cgi. The same for the other two php4 and php. This will solve your issue without having to change your htaccess or php5.ini

After a day of research, I called godaddy and they had the solution in a few seconds.

Hope it works for you.

alexsalido
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexsalido » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:36 am

hey guys im having the exact same issue, i have followed every step and still have the same issue, am actually on the phone with godaddy support and they say it is an issue with joomla. HELP PLEASE!

shanecornell
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shanecornell » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 pm

This just started for me as well. The site was fine Friday, but not working today and there were no changes to the site. I was on the phone with Godaddy earlier for about 30 mins troubleshooting and running test. They checked the files and nothing has been changed since Thursday of last week (and like I said it was working Friday).

When I try to upload images either through the media manager or within a product in Virtuemart it doesn't work; Virtuemart lets me browse to the file and click upload, when the page refreshes it says:
"Error: The File Upload was not successful: there's no uploaded temporary file!"

The media manager looks right when it first opens and then the browse drop down just turns into a button that does nothing when you click it.

I checked the php settings under help>>system info>>php settings and it has "no value" for upload_tmp_dir.
on this same page under "Loaded Configuration File" it has /home/content/**/*******/html/php5.ini

When I check this php5.ini file it only says

cgi.fix_pathinfo=1

and nothing else.

The thing is, I have other sites on this same hosting account looking to this same php5.ini file and they're not having the issue. I think if I knew how to change the location under "Loaded Configuration File" in the php settings page I could make a custom php5.ini file that I can play with but I don't know where to edit this information. I have over a dozen other sites and I don't want to cause issues with them by toying with this main php5.ini file they all look to.

This file worked fine last week, so what could've changed on it's own since then?

I'm stuck. :(

shanecornell
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shanecornell » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:10 pm

So I got the product pictures to upload now but the media manager is still doing the same thing.

I edited the php5.ini, it now has the following, (this is the entire code including the first line that was already there).

cgi.fix_pathinfo=1
upload_max_filesize = 10M
memory_limit=128M
upload_tmp_dir=/tmp

I even removed the first line to see what would happen but didn't notice any changes, but it's back in there again.

This will at least get the store portion going for my client until godaddy figures out what's going on.

Hope that helps someone.
Shane
:)

RajiGo1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RajiGo1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Simular issue here. Components such as Joomshopping, error uploading image. Not changed anything - just seems to have happened since 28th October 2011. Please help with simple clear instructions!!!

shanecornell
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shanecornell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Did you try the above Raji? Edit your php5.ini file in the root of your file structure, or could be in Joomla root folder, I've seen it in different places. Make sure you have the line

here is my entire file code.

cgi.fix_pathinfo=1
memory_limit=128M
upload_tmp_dir=/tmp

I found out that the problem with the media manager not uploading was fixed once I disabled the flash uploader setting in the global configuration in Joomla administration.

Hopefully that's clear enough.
Shane

RajiGo1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RajiGo1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:58 pm

It is the hosting company issue. This is what godaddy said.....

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are currently aware of the issue and are working towards a resolution. Unfortunately there is not a known time frame in which this issue will be fixed but we are working towards the quickest resolution possible. We appreciate your patience while we look further into this matter for you.

RajiGo1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RajiGo1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 am

GoDaddy have advised me to do the following.....

You are still able to upload images to your hosting with no issues. At this time each upload you perform you will then have to manually update the permissions on it to be web visible. Here are the steps. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

There are two types of general permissions and three types of advanced permissions you can specify for Linux shared hosting directories. Advanced permissions can be set for both directory users (website visitors) and owners (website administrators).

General Permissions

Web Visible

Permits users to browse files and directories through a Web browser.

Executable

Permits the execution of scripts.

Advanced Permissions

Read

Permits anonymous viewing of directory content through a Web browser. If read permissions are not granted, FTP credentials must be provided to view directory content.

Write

Permits anonymous modification of directory contents.

Execute

Permits the execution of scripts.

RajiGo1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RajiGo1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:30 am

Here is the link to Directory permission settings

http://help.godaddy.com/article/2535#basic

racasan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by racasan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am

I not sure I’m posting this on the correct thread but I have been stuck with a similar problem all morning and have found a solution for those working on windows 7 and using localhost and wamp to test their site

When running wamp use the run as administrator option (right click on the program to find it) that solved all my problems with uploading stuff

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this or it is well known fix but it was kicking my butt so I thought I would pass it on

jssali
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jssali » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:53 am

Hi All,
I need help, i cant upload any file, i am using joomla 2.5.28. when i try to upload it says "failed to move!, and upload file failed.
I need to update my site as soon as possible but i can't because i have to upload a file.
Please advise. Thank you.

Return to “Administration 1.5”