Front end version 3.10.12 broken. Can´t upgrade Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
rmari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Front end version 3.10.12 broken. Can´t upgrade

Post by rmari » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:24 pm

I do not know what happened. My 3.10.12 front end is broken. Administration back end is working.

Front end screen shows
Error: 0 - Call to undefined function str_starts_with()

https://nonamari.com/

If I change the php verion from 7.4 to 8.1 nothing shows in the front end, and the back end has lots of error messages.

thank you for any kind of assistance.

rmari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Front end version 3.10.12 broken. Can´t upgrade

Post by rmari » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:26 pm

If I try to upgrade to version 4.4 I get an AJAX error message and it stops at 96%

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:20 pm

Did you install some new third party extension recently, before the error was displayed in PHP 7.4? Joomla 3.10 does not use the native PHP function str-starts-with(), which was introduced into PHP in PHP 8.

Joomla 3.10 does not work in PHP 8.1 because the recommended version of PHP for Joomla 3.10 is PHP 8.0 and possibly also some third party extension may not support PHP 8. Change or get your host to change PHP back to PHP 8.0.

Go to the Global Configuration and turn on 'Debug System' to see where the errors occur. Post the messages and the PHP call stack here for advice.

Ref. PHP: str_starts_with()
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

rmari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmari » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:48 pm

I can quickly change the php version using .htaccess file. If I switch to 8.0 then my screen in the front end it blank and there is no way of seeing the call stack.
Some things work like akeeba backup in the back end under php 8 but if I try to go to articles, global config, etc. my screen is blank and there is no debug info...

No, I did not install anything on this site for the past 4 years. Perhaps something got auto updated incorrectly but I dont know what

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:09 pm

rmari wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:48 pm
If I switch to 8.0 then my screen in the front end it blank and there is no way of seeing the call stack.
There is. A blank screen indicates that a PHP fatal error has occurred. Turning 'Debug System' on in Global Configuration with 'Error Reporting' set to 'Maximum' displays an error message with the name of the script and the line number where the error occurs, followed by the PHP call stack, a list of scripts and function calls that led to the error.

rmari wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:48 pm
if I try to go to articles, global config, etc. my screen is blank and there is no debug info
Was System Debug turned on? This sounds like a PHP fatal error occurs in a content plugin that is not compatible with PHP 8.

This situation is not unusual, if a website has not been maintained for several years when the host changes PHP to PHP 8, released in late 2020. If some content plugins were installed a couple of years before PHP 8 was released, they can't have been tested in PHP 8 and often fail.

Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that our volunteer Joomla experts can review the configuration and advise.

rmari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmari » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:32 pm

We can close this issue. Watchful automatically updated the JCE module and now the website works... Thanks for your help.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:38 pm

Good to hear! Thank you for the update.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”