Joomla ‎3.10.12 update not working

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
wannabecoder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla ‎3.10.12 update not working

Post by wannabecoder » Mon May 06, 2024 4:08 pm

I am a newbie and I recently updated my website from Joomla 3.10.8 to 3.10.12. today i updated my entensions for which updates were available.

PHP version on server: 8.2.18

After update, one of the pages on my website does not work and gives this error:

count(): Argument #1 ($value) must be of type Countable|array, bool given

I have stopped receiving emails from "forms" under that page/subpages even though my php mailer settings are correct and i can receive the test email successfully.

I'll be grateful if you can help me in fixing this issue. I really need the forms to work.
Last edited by AMurray on Mon May 06, 2024 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note - split from some else's post - please create your own topics in future.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Joomla ‎3.10.12 update not working

Post by gws » Mon May 06, 2024 5:11 pm

@wannabecoder read A Murrays reply above.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue May 07, 2024 7:05 am

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

This topic was moved from the sub forum 'Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x' here to the General Questions.

wannabecoder wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:08 pm
Most likely one of the third party extensions is not compatible with PHP 8.0 and above. The recommended version of PHP for Joomla 3.10.12 is still PHP 8.0. It may still work in PHP 8.1, but recommend that the option 'Error Reporting' in the Server tab of the Global Configuration is set to 'None'.

Ref. Technical Requirements for Joomla 3.x

If you intend to stay run Joomla 3.10.12 for a while, even though the current, supported version of Joomla is 5.1, it would be useful to find out exactly where the error with the function count() comes from. Turn on the option 'Debug System' in the System tab of the Global Configuration to get a more detailed error message that shows the name of the script and the line number where the error occures, followed by the PHP call stack. Post those messages to your reply.

wannabecoder wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:08 pm
I have stopped receiving emails from "forms" under that page/subpages even though my php mailer settings are correct and i can receive the test email successfully.
That is a separate issue and it should have been raised as a new topic. However, for your information, there can be a difference between the test email and other components sending emails to users who will in forms. The test email is sent to the email address defined in the Global Configuration as '', and that mailbox usually belongs to the email domain of the website, in other words, the domain of the web server hosting the website. The host may have limited the outgoing emails and connections to external mail server. That is common practice.

Follow this tutorial to debug the sending of emails: How to debug SMTP mail in Joomla 3
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

wannabecoder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wannabecoder » Tue May 07, 2024 5:13 pm

Thank you Toivo.

Error reporting is already set to "None"

Here is the output of the error after enabling system debug:

Code: Select all

Call stack
#	Function	Location
1	()	JROOT/modules/mod_mb2portfolio/tmpl/default.php:51
2	require()	JROOT/modules/mod_mb2portfolio/mod_mb2portfolio.php:32
3	include()	JROOT/libraries/src/Helper/ModuleHelper.php:200
4	Joomla\CMS\Helper\ModuleHelper::renderModule()	JROOT/libraries/src/Document/Renderer/Html/ModuleRenderer.php:98
5	Joomla\CMS\Document\Renderer\Html\ModuleRenderer->render()	JROOT/plugins/content/loadmodule/loadmodule.php:215
6	PlgContentLoadmodule->_loadmod()	JROOT/plugins/content/loadmodule/loadmodule.php:120
7	PlgContentLoadmodule->onContentPrepare()	JROOT/libraries/joomla/event/event.php:70
8	JEvent->update()	JROOT/libraries/joomla/event/dispatcher.php:160
9	JEventDispatcher->trigger()	JROOT/components/com_content/views/article/view.html.php:193
10	ContentViewArticle->display()	JROOT/libraries/src/MVC/Controller/BaseController.php:664
11	Joomla\CMS\MVC\Controller\BaseController->display()	JROOT/components/com_content/controller.php:118
12	ContentController->display()	JROOT/libraries/src/MVC/Controller/BaseController.php:702
13	Joomla\CMS\MVC\Controller\BaseController->execute()	JROOT/components/com_content/content.php:43
14	require_once()	JROOT/libraries/src/Component/ComponentHelper.php:402
15	Joomla\CMS\Component\ComponentHelper::executeComponent()	JROOT/libraries/src/Component/ComponentHelper.php:377
16	Joomla\CMS\Component\ComponentHelper::renderComponent()	JROOT/libraries/src/Application/SiteApplication.php:194
17	Joomla\CMS\Application\SiteApplication->dispatch()	JROOT/libraries/src/Application/SiteApplication.php:233
18	Joomla\CMS\Application\SiteApplication->doExecute()	JROOT/libraries/src/Application/CMSApplication.php:225
19	Joomla\CMS\Application\CMSApplication->execute()	JROOT/index.php:49
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 10.47.47 PM.png
Regarding the email issue, i did not create a new topic on it because the issue occurred after i updated the components. I am sure one of the components update has caused this issue to occur but don't know which one.
Also, is there a way I can find out which components were updated recently? i don't see any option to sort by date etc. Sorry for the basic queries. I got the site built many years back and now don't have any developer who'll work on it. Thought of giving it a try myself. Any help with the above log is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue May 07, 2024 10:27 pm

wannabecoder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:13 pm
Call stack
# Function Location
1 () JROOT/modules/mod_mb2portfolio/tmpl/default.php:51
The error message comes from a third party module MB2 Portfolio, which is not compatible with PHP 8. Just uninstall this module. If the uninstallation fails, locate the .xml manifest file of the extension and get the list of folders and files. The _extensions table has also a row that has to be removed.

wannabecoder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:13 pm
is there a way I can find out which components were updated recently?
Go to System - Manage - Extensions. Unfortunately clicking the Date column does not seem to sort the extensions consistently by the date.

However, click the column 'ID' twice, so that all the third party extensions are displayed at the top of the list. Check the contents of the Version column for each third party extension and compare the version to the information in the Joomla Extensions Directory (JED) and also the developer's website, because some developers may not have updated their JED entry when new versions are published.

You could also post here the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that the configuration and versions can be reviewed by our volunteer experts. The report show the third party extensions as separate sections.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

wannabecoder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wannabecoder » Wed May 08, 2024 7:19 pm

Thank you for your time. Appreciate it :)
Before your reply yesterday, I replaced the site files with the backup files from Sept 2022. That fixed the issue with the pages but the email issue is still there. The submitted forms do not send email to the admin's email address. Can you guide me regarding it?

Now these are the versions:

Joomla! Version: Joomla! 3.10.8 Stable [ Daraja ] 30-March-2022 13:28 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version:	Joomla Platform 13.1.0 Stable [ Curiosity ] 24-Apr-2013 00:00 GMT
Database Version: 5.7.23-23
PHP Version 7.4.33
Now i see this error on the control panel:

Error
Support has ended for your version of Joomla 3.10. Migrate to Joomla 4 as soon as possible.

We have detected that your server is using PHP 7.4.33 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 8.1 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2024-11-25. Please ask your host to make PHP 8.1 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 8.1 ready please enable PHP 8.1 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure.
My main issue is receiving email when someone fills the forms.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”