JCE and VirtueMart issues in Joomla 3.10.11 Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sagaranvekar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

JCE and VirtueMart issues in Joomla 3.10.11

Post by sagaranvekar » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:10 pm

Hello,
I have a Joomla website with following details:
Joomla 3.10.11
PHP 7.4.33
Virtuemart 3.4.2
JCE 2.9.33

I logged in to website admin after around 1 month to add new article. First thing I found is JCE not loading at all.
https://monosnap.com/file/bJCnhpITwJQp0 ... UjwqM6IidX
So, I tried to re-install JCE but it didn't help. So, I switched to Tiny MCE.
Then I wanted to add a product in Virtuemart, I found that, when I click on 'Save & Close' or 'Save' button, nothing happens. Only cancel button works. Also, the virtuemart admin left sidebar has all menus expanded.
https://monosnap.com/file/ffKuEhVhjjxi0 ... L3mthwH1ze
Then I found that, the virtuemart category page is showing 1 column instead of 3. So, on investigating, I found that, virtuemart css is not loading at all. So, I tried to check for errors by enabling error reporting. Nothing in error reports.
Also tried disabling Virtuemart from extension manager to check if JCE loads, but no luck.

This really made me worried. So, I thought of updating website extensions to its latest versions as it is show around 13 updates (most of them are Virtuemart) for extensions. So, I thought it might be some kind of conflict. So, I created a sub-folder 'staging' in root and created copy of website inside that subfolder and also created new database for this installation, imported old database dump and made some changes to config file so that I can initiated updates on this staging copy. But to my surprise, in this particular subfolder, none of the above errors occur.

So, it is really frustrating to know that website works well in a sub-folder but not working in root. I also tried moving this working staging copy files and database to root, but when it is in root, all issues reoccur.

My host is Siteground. Already tried contacting support and they found nothing.

Can someone please help me understand what am I missing here?
Last edited by toivo on Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x General Questions, retitled

cmbay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: JCE and VirtueMart issues in Joomla 3.10.11

Post by cmbay » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:15 pm

sagaranvekar wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:10 pm
...I created a sub-folder 'staging' in root and created copy of website inside that subfolder and also created new database for this installation, imported old database dump and made some changes to config file so that I can initiated updates on this staging copy.
I suggest only making backups using the Akeeba Backup extension. Use the .jpa file created by Akeeba to move the site.
But to my surprise, in this particular subfolder, none of the above errors occur.
Do you or can you run the staging site on a subdomain? For example, mytest.mydomain.com.
It might be beneficial to see the Forum Post Assistant reports on both the public site and your staging site.
Charles

sagaranvekar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: JCE and VirtueMart issues in Joomla 3.10.11

Post by sagaranvekar » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:10 pm

Thank you very much for your reply @cmbay.

I fixed the issue. It turned out that there were some 301 redirects added on server by one of our teammate. The redirect rules were messing up Virtuemart css and js files. When I used view source, it was showing correct path of css and js files that those are loading from com_virtuemart. I thought of checking if those are loading properly. So when I clicked on source url, it took me to 3rd party website; which help me to identify the issue. But I am not really sure why it was causing issue with JCE. After removing all those redirects, website started working normal. So, leaving this comment so that if anyone else faces such issue, they can use this for reference.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”