Phoca state sales taxes?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 4.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Phoca state sales taxes?

Post by stuffdone » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:06 pm

Another question not well documented by Phoca.

How do I set a sales tax rate for a single state in USA?

I tried the list of states (regions) where the "edit tax" link is but clicking it has no provision to set anything. All I can do is save nothing and close.

If I try to make a zone for Florida and add tax rate it is applied to every state.

I cannot find any help in official documents as it only covers adding tax for an entire country which is useless in USA as we have 50 states with multiple tax districts etc. There could literally be 2,000+ tax rate in USA because of state and local taxes.

If you sell under the threshold in other states your only required to collect for your own state when shipping to a customer in your state so I need only a tax for Florida and no where else.
--- http://www.Stuffdone.com ---
Wow. Doing web sites for over 28+ years now. Still learn new tricks...not bad for an old dog

stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

[SOLVED]: Phoca state sales taxes?

Post by stuffdone » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:17 pm

Not documented and not particularly intuitive but I decided to try a different approach.

I set US tax rate to 0 then I could edit by state and add the 7% to only Florida.

Seems pretty convoluted way when it would be easier to just enable the "edit tax" option on states, click, add tax for that state and be done with it.

Oh well...work in progress
Wow. Doing web sites for over 28+ years now. Still learn new tricks...not bad for an old dog

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Phoca state sales taxes?

Post by AMurray » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:30 pm

You could always make that suggestion for improvement to the develper.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

stuffdone
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by stuffdone » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:30 pm

AMurray wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:30 pm
You could always make that suggestion for improvement to the develper.
If I ever get a reply I will do that! :)

Sulpher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Sulpher » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:52 am

Thank you for this message. In fact, it is an important question related to any e-commerce script in general.
As far as I have heard, the tax may differ even inside one city (different streets - different taxes), moreover, it's technically impossible to keep all taxes actual since they can be changed in any time.

I have question. How usually this task is being resolved by webmasters in the US?
I may suppose there are special tax services which offer API for integration and all popular e-commece scripts made such integration.

Can anybody recommend best services which helps to get actual tax according to the address and come with API?
Joomla! extensions & ecommerce pluginshttps://norrnext.com

Unofficial Joomla channel on Telegram - @joomlahub
Follow me on Twitter: @sulpher

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 4.x”