Site locks after uploading media

Discussion regarding Joomla! 4.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
madoc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Site locks after uploading media

Post by madoc » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:16 pm

Hi!
After a "one click" installation of Joomla 4.2.2 I got this problem: When uploading media by drag and drop, up to 75 files, all jpg and under 500kB, Joomla suddenly stops working and can't be accessed by my computer (time out error). Via mobile data from my phone its OK. Deleted all files, but problem persists. I have done several "clean" installations and same thing happends everytime I try to load my pictures. It worked all fine in 4.0.3, but issues with upgrading pushed me to do a clean installation to 4.2.2 and Apache 8.1 and move each article and picture manually.

Confusing - Any suggestions?

BTW, I have loved Joomla for many years, but I´m not a hacker - only work pretty simple in back end.

/Martin

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Site locks after uploading media

Post by gws » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:30 pm

Try installing joomla the recommended way,the one click installations are known to cause problems.

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:55 pm

Run the Forum Post Assistant and post the public results here. You may have small Max Post Size and/or Max Upload File Size.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:57 am

gws wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:30 pm
Try installing joomla the recommended way,the one click installations are known to cause problems.
This ^^

Current version is Joomla 4.3.4 - you are installing software that is already out of date. It was released almost 13 months ago.

Download and install the official release package from here:
https://downloads.joomla.org
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.1 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7 (with b/c plugin enabled)
Joomla 5.1.1 on XAMMP for MacOS with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28 (with b/c plugin enabled)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:01 pm

Did you try the standard upload method (browse/select file and click "Upload")? Does that work?

And on what @ceford said, check the max upload file limit (in Joomla Media Manager Options) as well as your PHP settings on your host).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

madoc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madoc » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:51 pm

JAVesey wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:57 am
gws wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:30 pm
This ^^

Current version is Joomla 4.3.4 - you are installing software that is already out of date. It was released almost 13 months ago.

Download and install the official release package from here:
https://downloads.joomla.org
This is what is offered from my web-hotel. After installing I uppgraded to 4.3.4 - same problem.

madoc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madoc » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:53 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:01 pm
Did you try the standard upload method (browse/select file and click "Upload")? Does that work?

And on what @ceford said, check the max upload file limit (in Joomla Media Manager Options) as well as your PHP settings on your host).
Site locked again. I will test after next new installation.

madoc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madoc » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:57 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:01 pm

Site locked again. It starts with very slow update of the media folder. Now I know that that means that I cant reach frontend och my site from my IP (mobile data works - I don't get this).

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:30 pm

Are you saying the site is just slow overall, and not just uploading images in media manager?

What does a tool like Google Pagespeed Insights tell you about the performance (or the hurdles that are bottle-necking performance). Run the tool on your front-end URL, on desktop computer, and on mobile. Post both sets of results to this thread.
Regards - A Murray

madoc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madoc » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:20 am

SOLVED!
As I understand the drag and drop function for media files created a lot of "suspicious" traffic to the site which was then blocked at the web-hotel server. This happend several times in "fresh" installations at just that situation uploading media by drag and drop. (From now on I only upload by choosing files and open).

Really annoying that it took Swedens largest web-hotel (Loopia) a week to figure out that I was blocked... Also strange that the browser only reported time-out error - info on the blocked status could be better... But I dont know how these things work - I´m a physician. Well, now I´m unblocked. Joomla upgraded 4.3.4 and works fine. Thanks for all suggestions!
/Martin

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:32 am

If the drag and drop thing is causing that problem maybe report it on issues.joomla.org - it might be a wider problem.
Regards - A Murray

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 4.x”