Lighthouse Stopped Working on Joomla Sites?! Topic is solved

Discussion regarding Joomla! 4.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Lighthouse Stopped Working on Joomla Sites?!

Post by LTCreations01 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:38 pm

LTCreations01 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:10 pm
I just tried the suggestion about "Cross-Origin" and it did not work on my J4 4.3.4 version.

I ran both Lighthouse and PageSpeed Insights and both still have the same error as well as the exclamation point for Performance.
...silly rabbit...gotta turn off cache...
After turning off cache and clearing it, I'm back to 97 mobile page speed in Lighthouse.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:42 pm

I didn't think about cache. As soon as I turned that off and cleared it, ran Lighthouse and am back to 97 mobile page speed.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:01 pm

If the Joomla team has decided that Lighthouse no longer works as a result of "something" done by the developers, how is it possible that a J4 version 4.3.3 has the same issue when it has not been updated for the last 3 months?
I just tested said site and it has the exact same issue - performance will not run in Lighthouse.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:21 pm

I don't think most people where aware of it before it was mentioned on Mattermost and subsequently your post. Food for thought if your current 4.3.3 has the problem and it didn't before what have Lighthouse changed?

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:28 pm

gws - Your question is "precisely" what I was trying to find out when I realized it wasn't working.

As far as I know, there was a Lighthouse update. But, one of the people who responded here stated that he used a UNIX server by installing Lighthouse and it worked.
HOWEVER...he posted a few days later to say...it too no longer works. That tells me the version of Lighthouse he installed locally was a version "prior" to the updated that we have all tried now and cannot get to work with Joomla - any version - without disabling part of Joomla.

"I" still believe that it's Lighthouse...not Joomla.
I have tested all of my sites, even those I use for staging only. They "all" worked perfectly until the day before I posted.
I purposely only updated a couple to see if it made a difference. It did not. Joomla 4.3.3 did not work when I posted, nor did 4.4.0
And, I have one site that I use for staging and immediately after I updated to 4.4 there was another release to 5. But it failed too.

I've also continued to test almost daily and there is no change.
The Joomla developers moved this thread away from where I created the thread, saying it's a problem with Joomla. I can imagine they are scratching their heads now because no matter what they do, they can't get Joomla to work with Lighthouse either.

The only thing allowing Joomla to run Lighthouse is if you disable the "cross origin" plugin. I did that on a couple of sites, different versions, and Lighthouse worked.
But I'm one of those that does not take kindly to disabling something that has worked fine for years.

The bottom line is, "I" still blame Lighthouse for the last update they made which, for whatever reason, singles out Joomla sites - nothing else.
There is nothing I can imagine that would cause Joomla to "suddenly", without any sort of update, not work with Lighthouse.

Richard67
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Richard67 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:32 am

Funny. Just right now I checked in Chrome for updates, and there was one, so I've updated to 119.0.6045.106. Before that, Chrome was also up to date with the then latest version, and Lighthouse did not work for me with the previously described symptoms. And now after this update it works again, without having to switch off the COOP header. So it seems that was a Chrome glitch.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:13 pm

Good news,thanks Richard. Works on Firefox too.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:38 pm

Perfect! I agree. I've enabled the COOP header and that update worked for Lighthouse.

NickV2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by NickV2 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:52 am

ebrahimm wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:11 pm
Hi.

To solve the error, go to Plugins -> "System - HTTP Headers" and set "Cross-Origin-Opener-Policy" to "Disabled"
Works for me too!
J4.3.4 PHP8.2 YooTheme Pro Version 4.1.5

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:57 pm

You do not need to disable the COOP!
Update Chrome to 119.x and you'll be fine.
So you are aware, your version of Chrome may be 118.x and that's got a bug.

Even if you have Chrome set to automatically update, it has not updated on my machine and on several other machines I've seen.

Go into your settings for Chrome, click on the "About" icon, and "then" Chrome will fire to get the update. You'll also need to restart for the update to take effect.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 4.x”