Uninstall Joomla 5 for Helix quickstart install?

Everything to do with Joomla! 5.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Lakeside55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Uninstall Joomla 5 for Helix quickstart install?

Post by Lakeside55 » Wed May 01, 2024 6:41 pm

Think I know the answer already but just checking. So I have Joomla 5 on my windows laptop, running with XAMPP.

I decided after much looking that I like Helix Ultimate, but it seems it must be installed with the quickstart installer which installs Joomla 4? And then the idea is to update to Joomla 5 after?

I've never used one of those before but I read that it's much easier than trying to install Helix just as a template, as you won't have it looking like the demo, with all the sample content and images etc.

So do I just uninstall Joomla 5 and start over with the quickstart?

Thanks, appreciate any reply.
Last edited by AMurray on Wed May 01, 2024 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: edited (into paragraphs) for easier reading.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Uninstall Joomla 5 for Helix quickstart install?

Post by AMurray » Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 pm

We wouldn't recommend using the quickstart package at all.

Joomshaper.com has a non-quickstart download (template only) package along with its helix framework plugin.
helix ultimate.jpg
You seem to have been doing that anyway - having installed Helix in your existing J5 site. So I see no reason to change.

Helix Ultimate is like any other template. Create your articles, menus, modules and so forth and build your site that way.

Refer to its documentation on how to use the layout editor which gives you some flexibility on placement of module positions within the template.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Lakeside55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lakeside55 » Thu May 02, 2024 6:16 am

Sorry I didn't see your reply til now. I did actually use the quickstart and it was okay. I deleted Joom 5(didn't have much anyway) and used the quickstart. Then upgraded the joom to 4.4.4., and then to 5. I was shocked it worked- have the Helix demo site with all it's content etc. up and looking like the demo site I saw. I will have more questions tomorrow after playing with it all day. Thanks for all the help so far in this great forum :)

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 am

Lakeside55 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:16 am
Sorry I didn't see your reply til now. I did actually use the quickstart and it was okay. I deleted Joom 5(didn't have much anyway) and used the quickstart. Then upgraded the joom to 4.4.4., and then to 5. I was shocked it worked- have the Helix demo site with all it's content etc. up and looking like the demo site I saw. I will have more questions tomorrow after playing with it all day. Thanks for all the help so far in this great forum :)
Hi.

Tip: Never use Quickstart packages for a real site. Since you will get a bunch of garbage, unconscious using components that you may not need. This leads to slow work of the site, hacking and spam. Quickstart is designed for installation as a demo, for example, on a subdomain so that you can see how everything is done there and repeat on your real site.

To use Hilix Quickstart as a demo, you do not have to update this to J5. Install on your main domain clean J5 and separately clean Helix.

After you complete the development of your main site, delete the subdomain containing Quickstart and its database.

Lakeside55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lakeside55 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:30 pm

I'm glad you informed me Pavel, so I know that early on. It will probably be a long time before I will have it going live, and if/when that happens I will have to deal with it then. This demo is great for learning and developing the site. I'm just starting to realize how great Helix is. Ran into a small glitch though. In changing the logo: using Template options, and the logo setting, it does not give me the 'set height' option as seen here:
logoheight.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lakeside55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lakeside55 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:36 pm

I'm glad you informed me Pavel, so I know that early on. It will probably be a long time before I will have it going live, and if/when that happens I will have to deal with it then. This demo is great for learning and developing the site. I'm just starting to realize how great Helix is. Ran into a small glitch though. In changing the logo: using Template options, and the logo setting, it does not give me the 'set height' option as seen here:
logoheight.png
Sorry I posted twice somehow and also the image is blurry, just trying out photoshop :-[

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu May 02, 2024 8:04 pm

Joomla updates are for Joomla installs not quickstart packages, so updates might fail on quickstart installs.

btw
imho Wamp https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/ is better than xampp
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Lakeside55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lakeside55 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:08 pm

Thanks Webdongle. I will consider both. I'm just learning about Helix Ultimate so we'll see how it goes.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 5.x”