Passwordless login on Joomla 5

Discussion regarding Joomla! 5.x security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
MBButton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Passwordless login on Joomla 5

Post by MBButton » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:50 am

Is it possible to set up passwordless login on Joomla 5? This article by Nicholas Dionysopoulos explains how to do it in Joomla 4. In that case,the user still had to enter his/her username.

In Joomla 5 it seems to be a bit different. I have enabled fingerprint login from a browser using the "Multi-factor Authentication - Passkeys" plugin, but that offers fingerprint login in addition to the username and password. What I am looking for is the ability to log in using only a fingerprint (i.e. no need to type anything from the keyboard).

This system is used by most of the banking apps that I know, and it is very convenient, especially on a mobile phone, where password managers aren't quite as easy to use as on a computer. Since it is used by banking apps, I presume that it's just as secure as a password login. I would like to implement such a system in Joomla.

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Passwordless login on Joomla 5

Post by ceford » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:28 pm

J5 should be the same as J4. You do need to enter your Username. I have only tested it with a hardware key. I just created a new user, logged in to create a pass key entry, logged out and logged in again using the pass key.

Return to “Security in Joomla! 5.x”