Accept Cookies extension?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 5.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Accept Cookies extension?

Post by SocketPup » Mon May 06, 2024 5:46 pm

Could someone please recommend a good (free) Accept-cookies extension, that is also compatible with Joomla 5?

Nidzo2203
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Accept Cookies extension?

Post by Nidzo2203 » Mon May 06, 2024 6:40 pm

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Mon May 06, 2024 9:09 pm

I also use the N3T one.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Tue May 07, 2024 6:54 am

Nidzo2203 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:40 pm
n3t Cookie Consent
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... e-consent/
Ok, that sounds promising. However, when I hit "download" I get a list of different files (https://bitbucket.org/n3t/n3t-cookie-consent/downloads/). Which one(s) should I download?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue May 07, 2024 7:13 am

plg_n3tcookieconsent.4.3.0.zip is the latest version.

Even though this plugin is compatible with Joomla 5 according to its JED entry, make sure that the plugin 'Behaviour - Backward Compatibility' is enabled.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Tue May 07, 2024 10:50 am

toivo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:13 am
plg_n3tcookieconsent.4.3.0.zip is the latest version.

Even though this plugin is compatible with Joomla 5 according to its JED entry, make sure that the plugin 'Behaviour - Backward Compatibility' is enabled.
Where do I find this setting?
Also, when on my page, I see a blue cookie symbol in the bottom left corner. However, I see no popup-screen or the like for "we use cookies." Do I need to activate that manually somehow?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue May 07, 2024 10:57 am

For the first time visit to a page that module should show a banner across the bottom (or a position as configured in the extension's options). The blue cookie button should show you a sidebar with various options such as the types of cookies you can accept or decline.

The J5 compatibility plugin needs to be enabled in the Plugin manager (if necessary) as @toivo advised.

If you're not seeing it asking if you accept cookies, perhaps you need to first clear cookies from your browser. (or perhaps for this test, use a different browser or device).

Please provide a link to your site, so we can see if the cookie acceptance is working or not. It should just work. Maybe you need to 'clear cookies' from your system first - and that might be your system. We need to see the live site to say yes it works as it should.
Regards - A Murray

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Tue May 07, 2024 11:44 am

AMurray wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:57 am

The J5 compatibility plugin needs to be enabled in the Plugin manager (if necessary) as @toivo advised.

If you're not seeing it asking if you accept cookies, perhaps you need to first clear cookies from your browser. (or perhaps for this test, use a different browser or device).
Actually what happens is the cookie window appears, but only once I click a menu link and go to any other page on the site. Is there a setting I might have accidentally hit? I'd like the window to appear first thing a visitor enters the site.

As for the J5 compatibility plugin: is that an external plugin in general? Or is it an external plugin related to the cookie extension? Or is it a plugin setting inside the cookie extension?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue May 07, 2024 9:45 pm

The accept cookies shoud come up on the first page they visit - be it the home page or any other page on the site. There's no "activation" needed as you have mentioned.

J5 compatibility plugin is an included plugin in the JOomla core. Enable it in Plugin Manger. It is only needed if you are using extensions that are not strictly J5 compliant (in terms of coding standards) and can be used - but only when necessary (see https://magazine.joomla.org/all-issues/ ... tch-it-off for more info).

It is called "Behaviour - Backward Compatibility".
compatibility-plugin-j5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards - A Murray

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Wed May 08, 2024 7:22 am

AMurray wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:45 pm
The accept cookies shoud come up on the first page they visit - be it the home page or any other page on the site. There's no "activation" needed as you have mentioned.

It is called "Behaviour - Backward Compatibility".
Thanks for clarifying about the extension. It turned out I already had it activated in my project (I never did so myself, must have been default).

As for the cookie notification, I noticed it's related to the setting "Privacy policy type" and "Privacy policy." if I set the former to a Menu Item, I apparently must set it to an option in the drop down list of the latter. If instead set the former to url, it works fine.
Should I leave the url field blank, or must I have a Privacy policy URL? If so, what's the best way of setting up a privacy policy?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 am

your questions are getting beyond my expertise - I've never had that trouble - the accept cookies extension just worked out of the box for me.

Possibly time to ask the extension developer these sorts of questions.
Regards - A Murray

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Wed May 08, 2024 10:16 am

AMurray wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 am
your questions are getting beyond my expertise - I've never had that trouble - the accept cookies extension just worked out of the box for me.

Possibly time to ask the extension developer these sorts of questions.
Yeah, might be a good idea. =)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 5.x”